I'm a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aloppz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Good to know that there is a site that i could gain some useful advice, because i'm completely new to this.

I just bought an 8 gallon fluval edge 3 days ago (i wanted to go for a bigger one, but my landlord wouldn't let me. Yeah, i'm still a student). It's currently undergoing fishless cycling (ammonia level at 5ppm). What surprised me was that yesterday the water went a little bit cloudy (during 2nd day of cycling). I understand that cloudy water is pretty common in cycling, especially during bacterial bloom. But don't you guys think it's too early for that? Any thoughts why it became cloudy so early?

Welcome to AA! I have a Fluval Edge too.. Nice looking unique tank, just a pain in the rear to clean. The edge comes in a 6g and 12g. The cloudiness is probably some smaller debris from the gravel or something.. Its too soon for a bacterial bloom or algae bloom. Is that they newer LED edge or the older one with the halogen bulbs?

Brian_Nano12g said:
Welcome to AA! I have a Fluval Edge too.. Nice looking unique tank, just a pain in the rear to clean. The edge comes in a 6g and 12g. The cloudiness is probably some smaller debris from the gravel or something.. Its too soon for a bacterial bloom or algae bloom. Is that they newer LED edge or the older one with the halogen bulbs?

Hey Brian. It's the newer LED edge. Thanks for the thoughts. Would you recommend water change at this stage?

aloppz said:
Hey Brian. It's the newer LED edge. Thanks for the thoughts. Would you recommend water change at this stage?

No I wouldn't do any water changes in a fishless cycle unless the ammonia skyrockets or something. What are you using to monitor the water parameters? I recommend getting an API Freshwater Master Test Kit if you don't already have one.

Do you have access to an established tank by any chance (friends or another tank of yours)? Reason I ask is because you can get some of the bio media from a well seasoned filter and 'seed' your filter with it. This should help expedite the cycling process.

Back
Top Bottom