I'm a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bygones

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just set up a 55 gallon tank kit from petsmart 3 weeks ago and, I did a planted cycle (didn't want to kill any fish). Tested the water and all is well, I added 3 neon tetras and 3 scissortail tetras. Unknowingly, I ordered a hillstream loach not knowing that it's not compatible with my tropical setup and the seller doesn't take returns. I am a newbie and after this mishap I have learned to do research first.

Any suggestions on what to do with this little fellow? I have thought of purchasing a 5 or 10 gallon tank for him is that wise?:ermm:

Last edited:
AFAIK, these guys need cooler water with a high degree of oxygenation and a high current in their water. Loaches need very clean water as well. A small tank is much more prone to parameter swings, and are generally problematic, unless the bioload is very small. A high turnover filter, a powerhead, and cooler water ( mid seventies max) are the minimum requirements for hillstream loaches. This guy will need a larger tank. My two cents. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom