Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a newbie here

Hello, I am Meadowlark.

My first aquarium was a salt water 55 gallon. Yes, I started everything backwards! I had no problems with it, mostly because I'd done a lot of research and studying beforehand. This was in the days of Martin Moe and Julian Sprung. Are they still around? I specialized in Indo-Pacific species. I think the Flame Angel is the most beautiful reef fish in the sea.
Anyway, I 'lost' that tank in an earthquake (mess? you have no idea until you smell a dead anemone) and went several years before I attempted another. That one was a nanoreef of about 20 gallons. I discovered then that I was far more interested in the activities of the invertebrates than in the fish! I truly enjoyed salt water but I found it taking up far more time than I had.

Life got in the way and I had to dismantle that one and sold my livestock to a reef wizard who lives in Montana and I'll be darned if I can remember his name.

I have recently gotten back into aquariums, this time freshwater. I am currently in the middle of trying to get a 29 gal tank cycled without fish. I was freaked when I found a white scum on the water surface, and surfing on the net led me here. I wasn't too worried as I knew it couldn't have been too bad, as there is nothing organic in the tank at the moment. Still it is odd to see snowfall on a freshwater. (I learned about snowing in the tank when I over kalkwassered my nanoreef.)

I want to stock my freshwater tank with some lovely dwarf neon rainbows, so any advice will be appreciated.

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Hi, welcome to the forum

Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Welcome to the forum!

I hear ya about earthquakes. Living in California, when even a small one hits, my first thought is "GAH!!! The aquarium!"
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
welcome to the forum you should find lots of good advise , glad to see you back in the hobby ,

Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Greetings! »