i'm a sponge . . . ready to soak up any and all information regarding aquaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodogcarl

Aquarium Advice Regular
someone set up my aquarium only three or four weeks ago -- he was a real cool guy has traveled all over the world setting up huge aquaria . . . i was lucky to find him.

he's allowed me two fish (although i stretched it to three) while the aquarium is "cycling" -- i hope i'm using that word correctly. i've been looking for interesting plants . . . but really need a book . . . if anyone has suggestions for a book on aquarium plants i'd appreciate hearing about it.

i'm feeding tetra tropical crisps . . . the container calls for one crisp (about the size a three-hole punch punches out of a piece of paper) per inch of linear body length two or three times a day. i've been feeding twice a day during the week and then three times a day on the weekend.

i had an aquarium -- i think about a 25-gallon -- about 25 or 30 years ago and really enjoyed it . . . but when i moved from los angeles to kansas city (why oh why?!?) i sold it and have missed having one ever since.

i was always on the lookout for odd and interesting inhabitants for my aquarium -- so much so, that i had a dream. it's still very vivid all these years later.

i dreamed i had a little six-inch-long walrus . . . a six-inch-long dolphin . . . and sitting on the rock i had provided for my turtles . . . a six-inch-long mermaid combing her hair. i've never been so disappointed as when i awoke the next morning and discovered none of it was to be.

i hope to learn a lot from you folks -- let the advice begin!

Test your water quality and change water when necessary. The API freshwater masters kit is a good test kit. Test strips are not accurate and not cheap. Almost never do 100 percent water changes. Don't overstock your tank. Research fish before buying. Quarantine new fish. HAVE FUN!!!!:D:D:D:D

thanks for the info . . .

. . . never thought about a quarantine tank . . . i don't have one and really have no where to put one . . . i guess i'll just hope to neptune . . . new fish are healthy.

Not going to lie, that is the best title ever. Had to welcome you simply because it was so awesome XD

water changes depend on the bioload. Discus often have 100% pwc, its the bacteria in the filter that needs to stay there. during a pwc just rinse it in the old tank water then carry on emptying the tank. what is your tank size and what are you planning on stocking with?

you CAN overstock - if you have fish that prefer it due to aggression, such as Mbuna. however eduguy has it right - you need to watch stocking in most cases and adjust pwc accordingly.

get that master test kit! i didnt have one, but i left my tank running for 2 weeks with cycling products just in case when i started. you seem fond of the 6 inch range... ha. why not look at cichlids if you have the space?

hope lots of pics and updates to come, good luck!

thanks for your response

i have a 75-gal tank with three teeny fishes (black red-tailed sharks) and have no idea what i'll stock -- something that's not too tricky.

Mini Encyclopedia: Aquarium Plants is an awesome book on aquarium plants to start out, and is fairly inexpensive, plus it's chock full of photos for those of us who need to SEE what something is.
+1 on picking up the API master freshwater test kit, although I I don't recommend getting one from your LFS as you'll easily pay twice what you can get it for on amazon. (Test your water 1x per week, or more as needed)
As tempting as it is.. Don't overfeed your fish! This little hint helped me at first: Most small fish' stomachs are only about as big as their eye. Look into the natural diets of the fish you keep, and give them a variety of foods that meet their needs for happier, healthier fishies :)

I'm awash in acronyms!!

api?
pwc?
lfs?

Last edited:
watch out about what goes in with the red tailed black sharks, they hit around 6 inches and can be mean! they seem to do ok with more aggressive cichlids apparantly and cyprinid species.

(just discovered how to reply to posts without creating a new post each time . . . poco a poco)

i really like the looks of rainbow sharks . . . the guy who set-up my aquarium said they can sometimes the two kinds of sharks bicker but that they will probably be okay.

when it comes to red tailed black sharks, from what i researched people advise to NOT get torpedo or shark shaped fish with them due to territorial and aggression issues, but of course there are exceptions and it could work.

The API test kit is used by lots of people on AA.

Back
Top Bottom