Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm cycling my new-to-me 55gal tank!

Hello everyone one I am a new again fish keeper. During my teenage years I had a Jack Dempsey in a 30 Gal tank. He had gotten pretty good size(about 4-5 inches) before passing away. I didn't know much about aquariums in those day. I didn't know that a 30 gal tank was too small for a Jack Dempsey, nor did I know about harmful bacteria, fungus, and chemicals that can harm fish. I tried to remain diligent when it came to maintaining my tank, but I think I was just working off of too little information. Sadly my fish eventually died and I am sure it was because of the small tank and poor water conditions. I put up the tank and did not think about restarting an aquarium until recently.

The past couple of years I have though about getting an aquarium again and keeping fish. One day I decided to just run an internet search on aquariums, and I was overwhelmed with excitement. I have been reading article after article ever since. Long story short I purchased a used aquarium cleaned and set it up. It is a 55 gal 48X12X19(?) tank with a cascade 1000. I went to a mountain river and collected river rocks to make cool rock formations. The tank is looking vary nice.

I am now on in second week of cycling my tank. I decided to do a fish cycle and had purchased 12 feeder guppies. At first I thought this would be too many fish to cycle but the guppies are only about 3/4 of an inch long. My ammonia levels are currently around0.25ppm. All seems to be going well right now. A couple of deaths occurred when two guppies swam to close to the filter; I have since put a sponge around it. I test the water daily, and i am rather anxious. But I know I must be patient!

I am thinking I would like to stock my tank with:
4 angelfish
2 torpedo tetras
1 clown pleco
on top of my 10 guppies.
At first I wanted to get Firemouths or Convicts with cherry barbs or some other kind of aggressive fish, but I decided I would like a peaceful community. My guppies swayed me. Also, I would like to eventually plant the tank with java fern and annubias. I bought a piece of wood and I am now preparing it for the tank; I am planning on attaching some plants on the wood and on some flat rocks I have.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Tags
55 gallon, cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com