I'm cycling my new-to-me 55gal tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdr124

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone one I am a new again fish keeper. During my teenage years I had a Jack Dempsey in a 30 Gal tank. He had gotten pretty good size(about 4-5 inches) before passing away. I didn't know much about aquariums in those day. I didn't know that a 30 gal tank was too small for a Jack Dempsey, nor did I know about harmful bacteria, fungus, and chemicals that can harm fish. I tried to remain diligent when it came to maintaining my tank, but I think I was just working off of too little information. Sadly my fish eventually died and I am sure it was because of the small tank and poor water conditions. I put up the tank and did not think about restarting an aquarium until recently.

The past couple of years I have though about getting an aquarium again and keeping fish. One day I decided to just run an internet search on aquariums, and I was overwhelmed with excitement. I have been reading article after article ever since. Long story short I purchased a used aquarium cleaned and set it up. It is a 55 gal 48X12X19(?) tank with a cascade 1000. I went to a mountain river and collected river rocks to make cool rock formations. The tank is looking vary nice.

I am now on in second week of cycling my tank. I decided to do a fish cycle and had purchased 12 feeder guppies. At first I thought this would be too many fish to cycle but the guppies are only about 3/4 of an inch long. My ammonia levels are currently around0.25ppm. All seems to be going well right now. A couple of deaths occurred when two guppies swam to close to the filter; I have since put a sponge around it. I test the water daily, and i am rather anxious. But I know I must be patient!

I am thinking I would like to stock my tank with:
4 angelfish
2 torpedo tetras
1 clown pleco
on top of my 10 guppies.
At first I wanted to get Firemouths or Convicts with cherry barbs or some other kind of aggressive fish, but I decided I would like a peaceful community. My guppies swayed me. Also, I would like to eventually plant the tank with java fern and annubias. I bought a piece of wood and I am now preparing it for the tank; I am planning on attaching some plants on the wood and on some flat rocks I have.

Back
Top Bottom