I'm Gish from Baltimore!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a newbie myself with less than 30 days of aquarium experience. Kudos to crqwdaddy for diving into the hobby with a huge tank! You are the man!

Hi! I just started with a 10 gallon that was a gift from our housewarming party circa 2006. Finally my kids are of age to show some interest in the fishtank as well.

I'm a newbie myself with less than 30 days of aquarium experience. I am learning a lot about the hobby through this forum and other websites (firsttankguide.net is another one i like). I also try to milk the staff at my LFS and MMFS for info. There is often some contradictory advice among the sources.

I'm following a low tech route thusfar and used a fish-in cycle with some platys. I had the bacterial bloom last wk and now the water is clear. i've only tested the water 3 times: twice at my favorite LFS (go Tom's Tropicals!) and once at the mmfs (mega-mart fish store). they told me my water was soft but 0 on the 3 nitrogenous compounds.

I now have 7 platys (2 boys, 5 girls), a silver mollie (a tattoed one)*, and a mollie fry which came with it (it wasn't born with a tattoo) I have some anubias, hygrophilia, amazon sword. 2 fake plants, a shark saying 'no fishing' and a artificial seashell with some fake plants on it. I want to add a betta if things flourish in the next 2 weeks. I realize I am probably overstocked and am already researching bigger tanks. at the same time I have to give myself some time to ensure that my enthusiasm doesn't wane.

I'll post pics of my tank soon. Thanks for allowing me to join you all in this fun and exciting hobby.

*I apologize for this one. My kids love it, it has tiny multicolored hearts on it. Believe me my wife and I agonized about buying this.

Hi and Welcome.
Sounds like you are on your way...
2 pieces of Advice...

one would be get a test kit..this way you can keep an eye on your Fish-IN cycle from the comfort of home...API Freshwater kit is pretty good. Amazon has a good piece on it and they last a while.

The other is a betta, I have not put one in a community tank (I was going to but betta like almost still water and my new community tank filter flow is probably not suited for him). There are mixed result on how they get along with others. Just Have a back up plan if it doesn't work out. Other than that good luck, search the threads for info and enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice, Will pick up the API kits. I was wondering which ones to get

I too am a bit unsure of the betta. I was inspired by this youtube video

45 days with my 10 gallon and I just went out and bought a 29 gallon. A LFS was going out of business so my 10 gallon is bursting at the seams with fish and plants. I need to get a stand for the 29. my wife and i can't agree.

does anyone else have this issue - -- I research and research what flora and fauna I want to buy, but when I get to the fish store I often pick up something else. the various reasons: wife/kids want something else, store doesn't have it or at least i can't find it, it catches my eye, the salesman suggests it.

is this normal? if not, what's my problem?

Gish said:
does anyone else have this issue - -- I research and research what flora and fauna I want to buy, but when I get to the fish store I often pick up something else. the various reasons: wife/kids want something else, store doesn't have it or at least i can't find it, it catches my eye, the salesman suggests it.

is this normal? if not, what's my problem?

You are what they call the good intentioned impulse buyer. No worries tho I do the same with plants too. Just make sure the plants are aquatic and u have the correct setup for them. I always take my smartphone and look up plants that catch my eye to be sure. Good luck with the new tanks!

Hi copa We've communicated on another thread re; toms. House of t. Exotics. You must live close by. I'm in white marsh

Oh yea. sorry. We have you are right. I live near white marsh myself actually.

Back
Top Bottom