I'm just a rookie, tips would be great!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

autumn4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've visited this forum site many times while setting up my first tank and it was most helpful and detailed. Everyone is very elaborate unlike most sites.

Me and my fiance frequently visit the pet store to observe the neat animals and just to learn. Unfortunately, the local pet store is subpar, (so we're making the best out of our situation). After getting a bonus at work, we both decided to get a fish tank, nothing big, just something to add to our little family.

We bought a 10 gallon to start with. We added a koi, comet goldfish, and a common pleco. Everything was going smoothly! But then... We wanted more. We actually started to get quite addicted.

My parents had a 50 gallon fish tank from the 70's sitting in their storage space. It had a leak in it so the put it away and forgot about it. Until now! We pulled it out, fixed the leak with a little sealant and... voila! Good as new!

We let the tank cycle for a few weeks until it was ready, we could hardly wait! We added or fish and the newbies. We got a young oranda, a black moor, and my personal favorite, a calico fantail. All goldfish! We also added another common pleco in as well.

Everyone is very happy! I've never seen such friendly fish! They always come up to the glass to say hi, and they nibble our fingers if we drip them in.

We are currently using our old 10 gallon tank for a "quarantine tank". Since our local pet store isn't great, we like to make sure our fish are well and healthy before we add them to the larger tank. We also use it in case a fish my have an infection of some sort, we will take it to the quarantine tank and monitor it until we feel it is healthy.

If anyone thinks that I'm doing something wrong please let me know! Thank you so much!

Welcome!

Unfortunately you are very overstocked. The koi and common plecos all get far too large for the tank.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Unfortunately, I already know... But we are looking into it already! We found a 100 gallon for sale for only $100. So we are getting that. But since we do not have enough space in our house at the moment we are waiting to set it up until they do get big.

Welcome to AA!!! Ok, the bad news. Unfortunately, you honestly should consider rehoming the larger portion of your fish. Koi can grow over 3ft and realistically are only suitable to a large pond (500+g). The plecos both grow @2ft and really should not be kept in the same tank as slow fancies as there is an appreciable risk of them snacking on sleeping fancies in the dark of night. Generally, its recommended that a pleco be kept in a 100+g tank. Commons have the potential to grow up to 18inches. The 50g is really only suitable for the three fancies and nothing else.

Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? If not, I strongly suggest investing in one as soon as possible. The API fw master test kits are availble inexpensively on amazon when compared to a lfs. You will likely need to do daily big water changes on this tank until you can address your stocking situation. Ill post some more information below-please ask if you have any questions! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Yep, we have all the kits. Everything is where it should be. My parents have a koi pond in their back yard so we plan to move it there, only problem is that they live an hour away. All of them seem to be doing dandy. They always swim in a cluster and the young plecos don't go near our acknowledge them at all. And I'm up during the night alot sure to my work schedule. I have yet to see the plecos bother the goldfish but I'll keep a look out. Thanks!

First off, welcome to AA! Some people may call me crazy for this, but the 1 inch per gallon rule is inaccurate. After all, an Oscar who's max size is 15 inches can't go in a 20 gallon tank.

Koi tend to do better in a pond than a tank. Do you own your home? If so, awesome! What, exactly, are you looking to get out of your tank?

I am 12 and I am addicted to fish. I love to eat fish (like walleye), I love to go fishing, and I love to take care of fish.

Lol that's cool. Love me some walleye. Gonna slaughter some in Canada this July!

For bait? Heck, It's been so long, I don't even know. Just going to follow my dad's lead.

Back
Top Bottom