Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dman0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
go to aqadvisor. com no space between the . and com. this is a site you can put in your fish and filters to see if you are overstocked, water parameters, other helpful hints. your best option is to do that big water change, clean filters, and use a water conditioner to help clean up your tank.
If I clean my filters I'll be getting rid of BB right....??
__________________

__________________
dman0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman0617 View Post
If I clean my filters I'll be getting rid of BB right....??
In my opinion your not overstocked. The neons will create little waste and 4 guppies in a 10g is not overstocked. If you clean the filter, make sure you use old tank water and don't let the media dry out. I'm baffled to be honest. Maybe you weren't cycled in the first place......
__________________

__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dman0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
In my opinion your not overstocked. The neons will create little waste and 4 guppies in a 10g is not overstocked. If you clean the filter, make sure you use old tank water and don't let the media dry out. I'm baffled to be honest. Maybe you weren't cycled in the first place......
But I cycled the fishless method using ammonia I got from the hardware store it was pure ammonia. I tested every week using api freshwater master kit. But I think it is going through a cycle again I'm testing for nitrites but haven't seen any as of yet. I'm also adding nutrafin cycle to kinda boost the BB.
__________________
dman0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
corylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: south carolina
Posts: 255
you can also from a reputable person take the rub off of their filter, some gravel, and some water from a cycled tank that is more than 6 months old. that will help boost the bacteria. maybe check where you get your water from. one question though do you have sand in your tank? and have you added in while it was filled with water or that the filter could be sucking it up?
__________________
corylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dman0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
you can also from a reputable person take the rub off of their filter, some gravel, and some water from a cycled tank that is more than 6 months old. that will help boost the bacteria. maybe check where you get your water from. one question though do you have sand in your tank? and have you added in while it was filled with water or that the filter could be sucking it up?
No I don't have sand. But if I try and "boost the bacteria" wouldn't the nitrite from the bacteria kill my fish
__________________
dman0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Clownfishlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 212
Is the nutrafin cycle really bacteria or is it just ammonia in a bottle? If it is then it would just do the same as straight ammonia. If puzzled that is the only thing I can think of. What test kit are you using?
__________________
Clownfishlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dman0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownfishlover View Post
Is the nutrafin cycle really bacteria or is it just ammonia in a bottle? If it is then it would just do the same as straight ammonia. If puzzled that is the only thing I can think of. What test kit are you using?
I'm using api freshwater master test kit
__________________
dman0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Clownfishlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 212
Ok I'm not sure what is going on just do major water changes. Have you tested your tap water?
__________________
Clownfishlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
corylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: south carolina
Posts: 255
if you get the items from the mature tank it wont kill your fish its good bacteria. its what I did for my 10g. your basically adding stuff that you will end up with anyways as long as you know who you get it from to make sure its good then you shouldn't have any problem.
__________________
corylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dman0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
if you get the items from the mature tank it wont kill your fish its good bacteria. its what I did for my 10g. your basically adding stuff that you will end up with anyways as long as you know who you get it from to make sure its good then you shouldn't have any problem.
Ill try that thanks corylover
__________________

__________________
dman0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.