Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy Im need some help with my tank PLEASE!!!

I have a 10 gallon tank that I cycled for 2 months using the fishless method. After cycle I tested the water and my parameters were
Ammo: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm after a wc
So I added fish: 4 guppies, 4 neon tetras no plants
I'm running two hob filters 1 is a 10 & the second is a 20
But for a month now the tank has gone cloudy (bacteria bloom im guessing) & when I test for ammonia is through the roof I'm doing wc like every other day and it looks like its not making a difference. Have i over stock my tank and is it going through a cycle again?
Parameters as of today 9/20/2013
Ammo: looks like 8ppm I added a photo of it
And now my nitrates disappeared 0ppm
Please help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130919_082056.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	199072  

Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman0617 View Post
I have a 10 gallon tank that I cycled for 2 months using the fishless method. After cycle I tested the water and my parameters were
Ammo: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm after a wc
So I added fish: 4 guppies, 4 neon tetras no plants
I'm running two hob filters 1 is a 10 & the second is a 20
But for a month now the tank has gone cloudy (bacteria bloom im guessing) & when I test for ammonia is through the roof I'm doing wc like every other day and it looks like its not making a difference. Have i over stock my tank and is it going through a cycle again?
Parameters as of today 9/20/2013
Ammo: looks like 8ppm I added a photo of it
And now my nitrates disappeared 0ppm
Please help!!!
First of all, hi and welcome to AA!!. It certainly looks like it's cycling again. That was a lot of fish to add all at once. The slower the better. Two guppies at first would have been plenty. You really need to do a very large 80-90% water change ASAP and daily until you get the Ammonia under control. Ammonia is the most toxic of the three. Ideally it should be 0. With Ammonia that high, unless you remove the fish, you are going to be doing a fish in cycle. Some people frown upon this method but it's a personal choice. I used it. Check out the articles section here, there are great articles on both methods....

Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
First of all, hi and welcome to AA!!. It certainly looks like it's cycling again. That was a lot of fish to add all at once. The slower the better. Two guppies at first would have been plenty. You really need to do a very large 80-90% water change ASAP and daily until you get the Ammonia under control. Ammonia is the most toxic of the three. Ideally it should be 0. With Ammonia that high, unless you remove the fish, you are going to be doing a fish in cycle. Some people frown upon this method but it's a personal choice. I used it. Check out the articles section here, there are great articles on both methods....
I didn't add the fish all at once it was gradually
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I didn't add the fish all at once it was gradually
Sorry..I thought you added them at once. Still check out the articles. It will give you all the advice you need for which ever method you choose. Just a thought, did you clean your filter recently??
Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

No I didn't when I added the last fish it started to cloud up after a few weeks and then the ammonia started to show up and when I do wc it doesn't seem to do anything
Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
No I didn't when I added the last fish it started to cloud up after a few weeks and then the ammonia started to show up and when I do wc it doesn't seem to do anything
So after you do a large water change, the Ammonia doesn't drop at all??
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

After a wc I would let it run for a few hours then test the water and ammonia no different than before I did the wc.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
After a wc I would let it run for a few hours then test the water and ammonia no different than before I did the wc.
That's quite strange. There could be a few causes for this big reading, which you may already have checked for. A dead fish, massive overfeeding, mis-reading or incorrectly using the test kit. I'm sure you have checked for those already. Have you tried testing your tap water. It would be worth a shot. I can't think of any other reason why the Ammonia would be so high so soon after a WC......
Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep checked for all the above even checked tap water it does have a slight reading but as high I'm always using Prime when I do a wc in your opinion is ny tank over stocked
Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

go to aqadvisor. com no space between the . and com. this is a site you can put in your fish and filters to see if you are overstocked, water parameters, other helpful hints. your best option is to do that big water change, clean filters, and use a water conditioner to help clean up your tank.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com