Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good deal, my girlfriend and I want to get a 20/30 gallon tank for our bedroom. We'll probably use it as a medicine tank.

I do use a vacuum cleaner for our rocks and to drain the tank.

What do you mean by this?

Quote:
... only rinse out the filter media with tank water ...
Are you referring to the actual filter gunk? I do rinse them out once under tap water, and then reuse it for a week before applying a new filter. Or are you talking about getting the new filters and pouring some tank water on them before putting them into the filtration system, as I again use tap water.

Also, can I go down to the beach and grab some sand, or do I have to buy it from a fish/pet store? I haven't done it, just wondering as I like the sandy look. I also have heard that sand is hard on filtration systems, but I do have a nice one.

I have a lot to learn

Oh and his tank is disgusting because he said he cleans it about once every six months — which to me is absurd. He also sits his tank in front of a window without any back coverage, which isn't bad, unless you don't clean your tank that often. I just don't understand how his fish aren't dead.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

The filter media is the stuff inside the housing like filter floss, bio balls, ceramic rings, sponges etc. That is where almost all of the good guy bacteria live. When you need to clean the fiter just swish the media around in a bucket of water that you have siphoned from the tank. The chlorine is tap water kills the bacteria so rinsing under a tap is not advisable. As for replacing filter media, you can wait until it is literally falling apart before you replace and even then you should try and jam as much of the old stuff in with the new so that you keep the bacteria.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I totally agree with the above! You wait until your tank is cycled so that beneficial bacteria can establish in your filter! If you get rid of all your filter material you cycle will basically start over and there will be ammonia, nitrates and nitrites which will cause your fish to suffer/die

Do NOT use sand from the beach for a freshwater tank since lots of stuff lives inside and between the sand! Even in marine tanks collected sand can be a dangerous business. if you like the look I would recommend pool filter sand, it's cheap and looks awesome. Whatever sand you use, make sure you rinse it properly or you tank will be cloudy for days which can harm your fishes gills.

Let us know how you go
Old 07-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right on! I saw this 70 gallon tank at PetSmart that I wanna buy, it was $229 for the tank itself (with the top kit and light kit) and then I'm going to build the actual base for it myself. It'll give me an accomplishment. I'm going to follow the guide on here on how to cycle a tank fishless Probably won't be going with sand
Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativJustin View Post
Right on! I saw this 70 gallon tank at PetSmart that I wanna buy, it was $229 for the tank itself (with the top kit and light kit) and then I'm going to build the actual base for it myself. It'll give me an accomplishment. I'm going to follow the guide on here on how to cycle a tank fishless Probably won't be going with sand
does it come with a heater and filter?if so,make sure its not topfin,that brand sucks
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't believe so, even if it did, I would replace the filter(s). I'm going to run dual Marineland 350 bio-wheels. I'm going to be splitting the tank dead center about 10 inches up from the bottom with a plexiglass and 1 bubbles strip on both sides as the base of plexiglass, so I want to make sure I have good filtration. It will put a dent in my pocket, but I will probably build a sump for it on day. Plus I will be putting 2 smaller heaters in there, 1 on each side and see how that does at balancing the heat.

--edit--

Do you guys recommend the stripped thermometers, or digital? I will be using two, to make sure the heat is equivalent on both sides.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativJustin View Post
I don't believe so, even if it did, I would replace the filter(s). I'm going to run dual Marineland 350 bio-wheels. I'm going to be splitting the tank dead center about 10 inches up from the bottom with a plexiglass and 1 bubbles strip on both sides as the base of plexiglass, so I want to make sure I have good filtration. It will put a dent in my pocket, but I will probably build a sump for it on day. Plus I will be putting 2 smaller heaters in there, 1 on each side and see how that does at balancing the heat.

--edit--

Do you guys recommend the stripped thermometers, or digital? I will be using two, to make sure the heat is equivalent on both sides.
ok,thats fine then. and i reccomend digital,AFAIK there more accurate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com