I'm new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!! I am pretty new to the whole aquarium/fresh water fish thing, but my kids and I wanted a nice tank for Christmas, so that's what we got! I have a 20g aqueon hexagon tank. The water cycled for about 3 weeks, and on New Years Eve I put in five platys. They seem to be doing well so far, but I was wondering when I can put a pleco in? The guy at petsmart that tested my water said I can add one now, but I need to have algae wafers. Just wanted some advice. Thanks!

Welcome! Happy new year! How did you cycle the tank? What type of pleco?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I cycled it for about a week without fish, took a water sample to a local store called aquatic environments, they tested it and said I could put some tetras in, so I put four in. They died within 24 hours, but I think it could've been because my kids were flipping the switch that shuts off the lights and it was also shutting off my filter and heater. I took a water sample in again about a week later and my ammonia was a little high, he said to wait a week so I did, tested the water again and ph, ammonia, and nitrites were all good! That was new years eve, and the platys I got are doing great so far. I don't know what kind of pleco, whatever would thrive best in my type of tank and with my platys I guess?

Back
Top Bottom