I'm new , and have an angry silver dollar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KustardSlinger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm fairly new to having an aquarium and I've been lucky and recived a jewel trogon 190 , with a large plec and a daily large silver dollar . I have introduced some new fish ( guppys , mollies , goramies , angle fish ) the SD seems to picking off the smaller of the guppys and slightly aggressive to the others , I'm not sure what to do because I love the SD but want a friendly community tank. Will he get used to the other fish and chill out ?

Thanks.

KustardSlinger said:
I'm fairly new to having an aquarium and I've been lucky and recived a jewel trogon 190 , with a large plec and a daily large silver dollar . I have introduced some new fish ( guppys , mollies , goramies , angle fish ) the SD seems to picking off the smaller of the guppys and slightly aggressive to the others , I'm not sure what to do because I love the SD but want a friendly community tank. Will he get used to the other fish and chill out ?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to AA.
How many L/Gal is your tank?
The silver dollar is a schooling fish. They need schools of at least 6 of their own kind. They can quite large and need huge tank to accommodate them. The SD is probably stressing from the new additions to the tank. That was his tank and now, because he doesn't have a school, he has become defensive.
The pleco is probably a common. They can reach 2 foot in length. To keep both those fish you would need a 125gal+ tank. The best thing to do would be to rehome them both.
What other fish do you have and how many?

Back
Top Bottom