I'm new here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrightnNerdy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm BrightnNerdy. Three weeks ago, I fulfilled my life long dream of getting a "real" aquarium and today I added the first fish - 11 neon tetras. I hope to eventually add a few loaches, maybe some guppies, catfish and a dwarf gourami.

My tank is a 190 liter (50 gallon) corner tank with a bowfront. I got it used off of Ebay, it looks like it's a Juwel Trigon.

I have a two year old and spend a lot of time at home, so I'm happy to have a hobby that the whole family can enjoy at home. :fish2:

Here it is. I know the driftwood piece looks stupid... I would like to turn it into a moss tree eventually. Also, my husband likes the big urn thing and that has to stay. :nono:

I need a background too. It's hard to find one for this aquarium. I may have to buy two and cut them. I can't move it out of the corner anymore either, obviously. :whistle:

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 50
Thanks, glad to be here. It's so peaceful to sit and watch the fish, I haven't turned the TV on since we brought the tetras home. I'm really looking forward to adding some more fish in a couple of weeks.

I like the driftwood, it helps take yer eye off the statue cuz its dark.
theres a balance of natual vs man made items that creates a cyclic path that crisscrosses nicely from side to side.

Plant a plant in front of it, lol! Oh darn, it got covered up!!!

One cool option for a back ground is the frosted window glass film you would usually use for your house windows. You can search the web for some examples.

Plant a plant in front of it, lol! Oh darn, it got covered up!!!

One cool option for a back ground is the frosted window glass film you would usually use for your house windows. You can search the web for some examples.

Yes, I read that the Cabomba I planted in front of it grows fast... In German it's called Haarnixe, hairy waterspirit :lol:. A nixe is like a mermaid, but it seduces men and lets them drown.

I'm going to look into the frosted glass film. I wasn't feeling the backgrounds at the aquarium store, and it would look weird with an identical background picture on both sides. For solid backgrounds they had either black, or what could be described as "Superman Blue".

Everytime I see your name in a thread Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" pops into my head. Lol

Nice tanks. Looking forward to seeing your 60 set up.

By design, I'm a big Weird Al fan. He doesn't seem to ever tour Europe, boo. I saw him once in New York, I don't know if I've laughed so hard since!

make sure you check the size of how big your potential catfish can get

Also i suggest getting only one gender of guppies (right now i'm in the middle of a huge population explosion which is not an enviable position)
But your tank looks amazing! Good luck with everything

make sure you check the size of how big your potential catfish can get

Also i suggest getting only one gender of guppies (right now i'm in the middle of a huge population explosion which is not an enviable position)
But your tank looks amazing! Good luck with everything

Thanks for the tips. I got three of what I think are called Mottled Corydoras in English. I hope they don't get too big, I really want to get a few Loaches and I know they need space.

I think guppies are beautiful and would probably get males, three or so. I heard they can fight if there are too many?

Right now I'm going to stick with the Neon Tetras and Corys that I have. Quite a bit of diatoms have made themselves at home on the glass and sand, and the plants are turning a bit brown. I stopped adding carbon to the water, trimmed some of the browner-looking plants and I'm playing wait and see for now. I'm worried the tank didn't cycle correctly and want to wait before I add any more fish.

Back
Top Bottom