Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy953's_Wife
Smile I'm not going to lie... At one point I was like OMG what have I started!

First, I want to go ahead and warn everyone that I am not by ANY means a good writer. Personally, I think they use WAY TOO MANY commas in the English Language. Itís something Iím working on so please bear with me on it.
About Me
Iím 25 years old, married to an almost perfect man (Allen- AKA Ziggy953, heís on here as well) and we have a son (Zack) who will be 3 in Aug. 2008. We are all members of WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquarium Society) which is A LOT more fun than I had thought it would be when Allen signed us up. Iím a full time student working toward my Associates in Nursing. I plan to later get my BSN then become a Nurse Practitioner or Doctor (the DO kind, just like a regular Dr., but you go about it more like you would to get your PA or NP).
The Beginning of our Fish Adventure
It all began on our honeymoon (4 years ago in Sept.) when we bought a 55 gal Freshwater (FW) tank that was funded by the dollar dance from our wedding reception. LOL, not only was he my new husband but my pimp; for dances that is, donít get the wrong Idea.
Soon, that 55 gal tank spread like wildfire into 14 FW tanks! We had tanks everywhere: the kitchen, the dining room, even our bedroom. Along with ALL the tanks, we had 3 dogs (big ones) and a bird. I was living in a Zoo and with a baby on the way too!
In Feb. of 2005 I was laid off from my job and we moved to Sumerduck, VA. A.K.A. DuckTown (where I grew up; That was a big bonus). But space in the new place was limited, so I told Allen he would have to limit the amount of fish tanks. Btw, our bird died. Note of advice, donít keep them near a drafty window in the cold months.
The Saltwater Adventure
Once our son was about 5 or 6 months old, he fell in love with the Disney movie Nemo. At the time it was the only thing on TV that he would even pay attention to. Allen and I were talking about maybe doing a little SW tank with a Nemo in it for Zack. My dad overheard us talking about it and told us that since it was for Zack he would help fund the project for us, and figure out how to do it.
We bought a 72 gal. bowed front tank, and Allen built an AMAZING oak stand for it. We started with the sand and water of course, then added live rock one at a time (cause you know that stuff isnít cheap). After having everything set up for a while, we started getting a few fish. Damsels, because we heard they were the best to start with even if you didnít plan on keeping them. Which we didnít, except for the Blue Velvet Damsel my In-Laws got for us when they came for a visit one time. Mr. Blue Velvet is a real mean sucker, so he started the expansion of the SW world I now live in. The next addition to the SW world came about because some of our corals were starting to get too big for the 72 gal tank. So, we started a 55 gal frag tank and now we sell/trade the frags from there.

Our Current Adventure
We are in the process of upgrading to a 4 foot, 120 gal tank which was suppose to be a 4 foot, 150 gal. tank. However, there was a mishap with the 150 gal. which you can read all about on my husbandís thread. Itís a really good one with pics, and some valuable lessions we have learned, and are learning on the way. Just click the link in my signature.

Well, I think thatís enough about me for now. If you would like to know the specifics of our system, just let me know, and Iíll find it out. Although we have been in the Tank business for a few years now, Iím just now to the point where I want to know all the specifics rather than just point and say ďThatís prettyÖĒ

Ziggy953's_Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site! I expect you will be joining us for the next LFS trip?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! Glad to have Mrs. Ziggy here.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

welcome welcome... i find myself checking your husbands thread about 30 times a day... its compelling... i myself am getting the same 150 gal tank in a few months... however i hope and pray i dont experience the hardships you guys have...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Welcome to the site! I expect you will be joining us for the next LFS trip?
I'm guessing with this comment that you live close to us? Where... I tried to see if I could see that on your profile thing but you know with me being a Newbie and all. MySpace & Facebook totally got the hang of that but this is very different.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I wish there was a dummy guide to Aquarium Advice. LOL, I know I'm driving Allen nuts with all the questions!

Oh Cogburn... I REALLY Hope you never wake up to gallons of water all over your floor (and "The Smell" UGH!). I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

WHOO I think we are about to start draining the FW out of the new tank (did it to test it; FW ALOT CHEAPER than SW) and start putting sand and SW in....
Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I live up in Wv and met your hubby at BRK.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I suppose it is only right that I welcome my wife to AA!

Glad you have decided to join us!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I love BRK (Blue Ribbon Koi, for those who don't know)! John is SO great and OZZY is a trip and a half!

LOL, when we were there last Saturday I fell in love with this one coral (Chips Acro) but it was on the $100 shelf so well that was just a bit out of the price rage at least for that field trip. When we were getting all checked out John said to Allen "What about the coral your wife likes so much?" And Allen just laughed and said not today. :-(

But Allen went back in the store for another diamond bit and got me a smaller frag of the Chips Acro! GO SUPERHUBBY!!!!!

My favorite corals are Ricordias, Monti Caps and Most Acros. I'm a REALLY big FAN of corals that have really bright almost neon green color and of course pinks are great too.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I suppose it is only right that I welcome my wife to AA!

Glad you have decided to join us!
Thanks TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH!

LOL, I just realized this is AA! LOL LOL LOL!

Hi my name is Jessy and I have a problem...
OK who's next?

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com