I'm Obsessed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alastair

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everone,
I finally decided last Sunday to convert the 250L freshwater tank in my bar to salt, filled it up and got everything going. I'm limited for space as its built into the wall and therefor dont have room to run a sump. I have a internal filter, power head with foam filter, multi protein skimmer and EHO Blue Actinic and 14000k white lamps.
Monday I bought 14kg live rock, Tuesday another 10kg and Wednesday 8.
Ive been starring at rocks or reading the forum ever since, the rocks came with plenty of hitchhickers,9 crabs one is a pom pom with green annemones attached to its claws? the others are small grey jobs,lots of hairy catterpillars, a polyp that has doubled in size, an asterina star and green stomatella which extended itself and blew eggs out then went back to its normal self. tiny blood red fans have appeared in many places and a yellow sponge( looks like cotton wool cacoon)?Purple coraline algae everywhere.
It seems there is somthing going on all the time. (and thats before Ive cracked a beer can you imagine.)
Well thats all for know I'd just like to say this forum has been very informative and helpful and felt that i needed to join and say thanks to all the expierienced contibutors for their posts

welcome to AA!!!! :D :D

img_918475_0_a70738091c8dbb7c4da99b88eef7c36b.jpg

Welcome. Sounds like you have some pretty fresh rock. Possibly not needing to cycle hopefully. Sponges and everything! What are the tank readings? Maybe ammonia and nitrite won't go up. We'll see. Got water change water ready just in case??

Describe the rock more. No new rock since Wed and all that stuff still living on it.

live rock and update on tank

Thanx all for the warm welcome

The live rock is clearly helping me, all the readings are currently zero, I had a .5 Amonia reading on day two the 20th which lasted till the 23rd when the reading went back to zero. The nitrite and ate have remained zero. The PH has gone from 7.8 to 8.2 in this time. I have started to develop some brown algae on the highest point of 1 piece of rock but something is plowing pathways through it. I suspect its the stomatella, Ive now counted 3 in the tank. I also need to confirm that thats what its called, snail with miniture green shell that looks too small for it.
I have taken photo's of rock but need to work out how that all works for you to see. The LPS said the rock is Java, Bali and Kenya.

Back
Top Bottom