Im the new guy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScoobyQue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had posted this earlier, but in the wrong thread. I am new to everything in this, and am really excited about starting. I desperately need a hobby, and have been interested in this my whole life. I've read the forum here on fishless cycling and plan on doing that as well.

I did have a question. I went to a supercenter (names will be left out to protect the chain, and stop the banter) and saw a whole bunch of cheap "starter kits". Are those something I want to get into, or should i try to go it all building it piece by piece....it looks like theres a lot of money to be saved that way, and money isnt something that I tend to have laying around, a lot...

yeah, there was a 10 gal for like 30 and a 20 for 75...there was a 29, but i was afraid to look...they had a nice stand for like 50 bucks too...

They had a 55 for 119 the other week. Dude, check craigslist too. Some steals on there.

I've bought several kits and have had to trade out their filters. I've got both petco and pet smart kits. Both of those stores have sub par filtration imp. I do keep em all cause you never know. :)
Alot depends on the size kit too. My 29 one wasn't too bad but I paid only 55 for it on sale. Saved enough to buy aqua clear filters which rock!

Hope I helped a little.

also, another question. should i worry about doing live plants? or is that something that i should worry about later, and get plastic for now. Its just in my research, so far, all ive heard is that the addition of live plants makes things a lot better for the enviro inside the tank making it better for the little guys (and gals) inside.

ScoobyQue said:
also, another question. should i worry about doing live plants? or is that something that i should worry about later, and get plastic for now. Its just in my research, so far, all ive heard is that the addition of live plants makes things a lot better for the enviro inside the tank making it better for the little guys (and gals) inside.

If you want live plants, get em. I have one java fern, and the rest plastic, and I love it!! There's nothing more satisfying with plants than seeing that your java fern is doing well.

If you want live plants, get em. I have one java fern, and the rest plastic, and I love it!! There's nothing more satisfying with plants than seeing that your java fern is doing well.

thank you so much and to all others that have helped, and will help!!:fish2:

I got an Aqueon "deluxe" kit and I have already replaced the filter and light fixture - the ones that came with the kit work fine, but I wanted higher quality to support plants and messy malabar puffers :)

I have kept the originals as "backups" in case of a future equipment failure, though!

UPDATE!!!! My brother is giving me a 16 gallon tank with all the trimmings, complete with a stand!!! SCORE!!!

The Collesium, Eifel Tower, the Great Sphinx, Statue of Zeus, The Acropolis, Great Wall of China, Hanging Gardens of Babalon....those...

Back
Top Bottom