In need of some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kel1971

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello from Canada!
I am hoping some more experienced fish lovers can help this beginner out.
We have recently set up our aquarium after years in storage and it seems the first fish we put in are in distress.
We have a 30 gallon tank that has been set up for a week. We put 3 platies in it tonight and I can see their gills turning red. I read this could be ammonia poisoning.
We have tested the water and the test kit says the ammonia is low but pH is high.
I am not sure what to do. I don't want to lose them.
Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

Thank you

Hi, welcome! What sort of test kit are you using and what numbers are you getting for the readings? Unless the problem is the tap water (sometimes companies change water sources), a moderate, temp matched water change is a good start.

Hi, welcome! What sort of test kit are you using and what numbers are you getting for the readings? Unless the problem is the tap water (sometimes companies change water sources), a moderate, temp matched water change is a good start.

Thanks for replying...
Well 2/3 platies are gone and third isn't looking too well.

We used two test kits. One with a test tube and drops...ammonia showed 0 and pH was as high as the test card showed which was 7.6.
Then we used tetra 5 in 1 easy strips and again nitrate was 0 nitrate 0 hardness 300gh alkalinity close to 300 kh and pH in between 7.8 and 8.4.
We are in well water in the country.
Maybe we should empty the tank and start again??

As I said I'm very new to this so I'll head to the other forum and check it out. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom