Intro...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghastlytruth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I was asked to introduce myself, so here ya go. I'm new to home aquariums and to forums, so let's all hope I'm doing this right! And I apologize for any dumb mistakes in the future....Hopefully they will be minimal! I started my tank on my own without anyone nearby to help or give tips and advice...maybe you guys will fill the void :)
I started my 50 gal freshwater tank about 7 months ago. I did a lot of reading and research to get the general idea. But there's just so much, I still feel clueless most of the time. I started with small, hardy fish. I didn't want innocent fishies paying for my inexperience and so far there has only been 2 casualties. The tank itself is well established at this point, I never have any problems or large fluctuations in the levels. At the moment I have several varieties of platy, 3 dalmation mollys, 5 gourami, 3 dojo and about 10 kuhli loaches. Oh and 3 zebra snails. There have, of course, been many fry but I don't use a breeding net. 3 have made it to maturity, 2 platy and 1 Molly. Last time I vacuumed I found 2 platys that aren't yet ready to swim with the big boys. In the beginning I had 3 mystery snails, but they all died. I waited a while then got a few more and they all eventually died too. Guess I just have bad luck with those. But I've had the zebras for several months and they seem to be doing just fine, yay!
I do keep a hospital tank handy. At the moment one of the dojos are in there. With I think a swim bladder problem. I'm on day 2 of the 3 days no feeding then I'll give her some peas and see what happens. Poor thing looks absolutely miserable. But I've heard they're a resilient type of fish so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for sticking with me through this overly long intro! Til next time.

Welcome!

So sorry to hear about the dojo :( :( they are hands down my favorite fish ever. I have one full sized adult and one baby size juvenile and I love them to death.

The only thing I worry about this tank is how you are managing 5 gourami unless it's 1 male and 4 females... Even then I'm still wondering. How is the aggression? Is there many plants/decor to break the line of sight?

Other than that glad to have you here!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hello Caleb!

You are absolutely right about the dojos, they are a blast to have around! I'm really hoping she makes it. As I said, this is all new to me but I'm doing everything I can to help her. I bought all 3 as babies, and have no idea about the gender. I've tried to sex them but the next time I look at them, I doubt myself and think it's the opposite. Grrr...frustrating. 2 have gotten quite large very quickly. The other is still fairly small but gaining on the others quickly. No one else in the tank seems to be having problems, but she did grow the quickest and has a voracious appetite. So I'm assuming she ate too much or too quickly.

I'm not sure what you mean about aggression in the gourami. I was told at the fish store they are all males. I haven't noticed any aggression in any of them, though a few seem more shy than the others. I do have plenty of plants and decor. None that go above about a third of the tank though. There is just so much to tanks and fish! I've spent a lot of the past 7 months feeling overwhelmed or clueless, and just hoping they're all ok.

It can be overwhelming! I've been in this hobby almost 9 months now. 6 tanks up and running ;)

Weather/dojo loaches are very, very, hard to sex. On top of that is doesn't really matter because they are peaceful and to my knowledge they have never been successfully bred in the home aquarium.

And yes! My dojos eat like they are at a buffet at every meal! They will eat straight out of my hand.

What I meant by the gourami: generally, males are very territorial to other male and sometimes even female gourami, especially of the same species. Provided lots of plants and decor to break lines of sight people have successfully kept multiple. I have also read horror stories of males just biting the crud out of each other's fins over territory and stressing each other to no end. That was the cause for my worry.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well I'm so glad that guy at the fish place was competent enough to fill me in on that little danger. Thankfully, none have had any injuries. They all seem to get along just fine. Oddly enough, the 'alpha' Molly is the only bully in the tank.

A swim bladder problem on a dojo loach? Seems unlikely considering their swim bladder is reduced and now functions as a barometric pressure sensor. What makes you think it's a swim bladder issue?

Well I'm so glad that guy at the fish place was competent enough to fill me in on that little danger. Thankfully, none have had any injuries. They all seem to get along just fine. Oddly enough, the 'alpha' Molly is the only bully in the tank.

My best advice would be to keep an eye on the gourami. I had 3 in a 36g and everything was fine for 6 months. Then I woke up one day to one being bullied. Thinking it was nothing I went to work. Came home to a destroyed fish. It was horrible. :(

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

A swim bladder problem on a dojo loach? Seems unlikely considering their swim bladder is reduced and now functions as a barometric pressure sensor. What makes you think it's a swim bladder issue?

I completely looked over that. I seriously thing the 2 of us know more about dang loaches than anyone. This is getting ridiculous ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I completely looked over that. I seriously thing the 2 of us know more about dang loaches than anyone. This is getting ridiculous ��

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It helps that I literally have the book on them :cool: If you want to know loaches, get "Loaches: Natural History and Aquarium Care". One of the best birthday presents I ever got; some of the writers are from the "Loaches Online" forum I used to be on quite a bit. (The Loaches Online website is also one of the best loach resources ever)

The downside to the book is the price. No, not the price of the book (although it's alot). It's the price of the unholy number of aquariums you'll set up for all the awesome rare loaches listed in that book :lol:

Edit: I think someone needs to start a loach discussion thread so that this stuff stops happening

Last edited:
Hi there, ghastlytruth! Welcome to Aquarium Advice. :welcome: I love loaches, they are such unique fish...I want to get a few for my new 75g freshwater tank. :)

I'm assuming it's a swim bladder problem..I honestly have no idea. She floats around upside down or on her side. She's found ways to stay near the top, sitting on some of the equipment. Breathing rapidly. Not eating at all. Her whole body has gotten pale but there's no marks on her. No patches or lesions or anything like that.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm excited to join :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom