Intro...advice welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cnelon85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been stalking this site for a while and decided to make an account finally.

I started my 55 gallon aquarium 2mos ago and it's cycled. I've got it set up with a 200w submersible heater, 40" of bubble wall, and a 30-60gal filter. I'm not sure of the filter brand but Ive ordered a Marineland 350gph penguin power filter to run in addition to it. Ph is 7, temp is 76F, my water is pretty much liquid rock, and i keep my nitrates in check with weekly wc. I'm aiming for a planted community tank.

I currently have 1 marble molly, 1 balloon molly, 1 bumble bee platy, 2 sunset platys, 7 zebra danios, 1 snail, and 3 ghost shrimp. The only decor I have currently is a large piece of mopani. I found some java moss for $5 at the pet store yesterday and I've since tied it down to the mopani with fishing line. I'm using basic flourescent lights over my tank and I'd like to get a bulb (preferably one I don't have to order) for the side with the moss growing, but I'm not sure what to get. I'm also trying to figure out what I should add to the water to help the moss along. My substrate is just regular gravel. For now.

I also have a 10gal tank with a crawfish. He was originally in the 55 but he had a back to back molt and became large enough to go fishing so I moved him. I plan to upgrade him to a 20gal. LED lights, 20" bubble wall, submersible filter. I supplement the water with calcium and iodide.

I appreciate any input and thanks to everyone for all of these wonderful forums. I've learned so much in very little time.

I keep such different things that I'm not going to offer advice. However, I see that your intro post got overlooked. I can assure you this is a friendly place and it was definitely inadvertent.

So welcome! Now that your post is back on top hopefully you will get some meaningful input.

Sorry this post was overlooked!

You have a bunch more room for stocking!

I'd look at getting a T5 bulb since you don't want to order anything.

There's plenty of low light plants you can try but you will need a lighting upgrade. They can't grow under just any little light.

Since this is a 55g I would look at PPS-PRO. It's fertilizers you mix yourself but it's much more cost effective than buying liquid bottled for this size tank.

Caleb

Welcome to AA. I dont think your post was overlooked, it was just a holiday weekend, lol. If ya need anything at all, feel free to ask.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I gave in and got amazon prime, so I've been considering ordering a 48" Finnex planted+ light. If I were to go with this lighting option and c02, would I still only be able to do low light plants, or do yall think I could start looking at moderate light plants ? I'm really wanting to heavily plant this tank and I've been holding back on stocking in the meantime.

Indeed. Med light plants would be fine with that setup

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That light will be great for your tank!

I run one on my 75g tank and it has worked wonders.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436412274.309889.jpg

Caleb

Your tank would be absolutely fantastic for some angelicus loaches (botia kubotai)! They are gorgeous and very fun fish, stuffed to the gills with charm and personality :)

Welcome to AA.

Moss doesn't usually need much to help it along, to get started the pre mixed ferts from the store like Flourish are good or to take out any guess work.

I liked using the Flourish one week and Aqueon Plant Food the next. Their contents seem to each have a little more of one thing than the other so they complement each other.

When you get bigger tanks then the store kind loses its value (of being quick/ready to use) since you need so much more of it. I need to get the pps pro to save some money! But I don't use too much ferts (no CO2 / lower light).

Root tabs (put in deep 3") for the heavy root feeder plants especially like Swords.

Enjoy being part of the community.

Hi there! I just wanted to pop by and give you a (belated) welcome to Aquarium Advice! :welcome: Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom