Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you boil the peas first? And make that the ONLY food she's getting? I feed my fish peas once a week to keep them "regular."

Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I thaw out the frozen peas, de-shell them, sometimes add a bit of boiled spinach and soak them in garlic. About once a week or every other week I'll give a bit of high protein flake food, but I read that fish are mainly herbivores.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try boiling them. I just stick mine in the microwave in a coffee cup of water for about 3 minutes. Then pop the middle out like you do, and then mush them a little, which you probably won't have to do because goldfish have bigger mouths than bettas lol. You can try blannching the spinach the same way, and kind of mix them together into a nice softer medley haha!
Some fish are mainly herbivores, which I believe goldies are. But there are other fish that are omnivores, and some are even carnivores I believe.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #14

Got the big tank set up for the goldfish. Man, it is hard to plant a big tank! I had all three of my filters (10 gallon and 30 gallon Topfins plus the new 40 gallon penguin thing with that strange spinning wheel;-0) running to get the water clear once I filled the tank (even using the trick with pouring the water gently on a saucer -- ugh!). Goldfish, plants and mystery snails now seem to be happy in the larger quarters. OK, the crypts and long grasses did their usual die down, but I expect they'll be back up soon. Lots of anubias (anubia?) tied to rocks.

I finally got around to putting the 10 gallon back together today, and planted some dwarf hair grass, which I think is lovely. I wish I could get more of it, as well as another low-lying ground cover. I've experimented with a little piece of driftwood and java moss wrapped around it. If it roots and looks good, I might made a few of these in the foreground of the tank. Other than that, a lovely piece of mopani wood and some tall grass (can't remember name) in back. The two otos are back in the tank and I am exhausted by all of this fish husbandry! I might let this tank settle a bit before adding any new inhabitants, but I am excited to get a tiny school of itty-bitties in there, and possibly a few red cherry shrimp. I love the way they look in a simple green and black tank.

Any suggestions on type of heater for this 10 gallon? I broke the bank with all the plants and the huge tank for the goldfish. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #15

PS thanks dkpate for advice on the food. When we had our 911 month - all I fed Goldie was peas, skinned, soaked in garlic. He loved them. I have started introducing spinach done in the same way (boiled and soaked in garlic). He didn't like it at first, but the new little goldfish, Halloween started gobbling it up, so Goldie quickly learned to follow suit. I cannot believe how much the little one can fit in his tiny little mouth in just one gulp. Sometimes we make a little gooey soup out of the garlic, peas, spinach, and high protein food -- it is gross, but they seem to like it. But like I said, I like to go spare on the "fish food".
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh! I am so glad they're eating!!! That's great! Make sure they get some flakes or pellets too though.

For a heater, I would save the money in the long run and get a Marineland Stealth heater. Dr. Foster & Smith Aquatics usually has the best deals. Don't go cheap on the heaters (i.e Walmart), or you will end up trading them out (like I did) and wasting a bunch of money because the temp fluctuates too much. And go for a higher rated one for your tank (watts).
Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.

Tags
10 gallon, 29 gallon, die, goldfish introduction, goldie, new tank, oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com