Introducing myself!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynne Abley Burton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone - an introduction to the group!

I have been a fish keepeer for many years starting when I was 10 years old - and I am now 65!!

I had a lot of tanks at one time - line breeding guppies - really enjoying the hobby.

I have always gone on keeping fish but for a lot of years I havent been "into it" to any great depth.

I have let my guppies "run" - adding new males in to stop deformities due to inbreeding. The females are huge and very healthy - the males resemble the little wild guppies of course! LOL

A few weeks ago I felt I wanted to stimulate my fish keeping and recently bought some young angel fish (I used to keep them and love them) - they started well - I bought 7 small ones from different souces to hopefully end up with a pair.

Disaster!

The last two I bought from a source where I couldnt inspect them properly (tank high on shop wall cordoned off from close inspection by public)(I am upset and absolutely kicking myself for the loss of the lovely fish and my stupidity with all my experience buying fish I couldnt see properly but they were pretty special angels) carried velvet and bacterial infection - all the angels are dead - the two smallest clown loaches were then covered in velvet - guppies affected but not badly although 1 or 2 have died.

I have been treating with Esha 2000 and Esha Exit and the situation is improving but has depressed me quite a bit.

Today I bought another tank to set up as an isolation tank for new fish and also to use for my guppies again when no new fish are being bought. It is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but a step in the right direction I know.

So I wanted to join a group for some feedback - to help pick myself up cos I love these creatures and have felt very down since the angels died and my other fish were put into danger.

I went back to the store where the sick fish came from and there was some left in there covered in velvet and they were still selling them!! I spoke to the manager and complained very loudly and they eventually said they would quarantine the tank - they are not a good store and I will NEVER buy from them again.

Anyway sorry this is so long winded - thanks
Best wishes
Lynne

Sorry about your loss Lynne...I am soooo new to this hobby and of course I have lost some fish and I almost gave up, but, I am still trying with the help of this forum, I may make it...You are in the "right place", people here are very experience and willing to help. Goo dluch and welcome to AA!!!

Hey there! Welcome to AA! Sorry to hear about your loses. I have been there, done that. I'm glad you took the step of buying a QT/isolation tank (better late than never). That is one purchase I think every fish keeper should make.

Hope your clowns and guppies make a speedy recovery! Again, welcome to the site and don't get discouraged!

hello and welcome to our forum,so you are one of the most aged person in this forum...

Hi everyone - an introduction to the group!

Disaster!

The last two I bought from a source where I couldnt inspect them properly (tank high on shop wall cordoned off from close inspection by public)(I am upset and absolutely kicking myself for the loss of the lovely fish and my stupidity with all my experience buying fish I couldnt see properly but they were pretty special angels) carried velvet and bacterial infection - all the angels are dead - the two smallest clown loaches were then covered in velvet - guppies affected but not badly although 1 or 2 have died.

I have been treating with Esha 2000 and Esha Exit and the situation is improving but has depressed me quite a bit.

Today I bought another tank to set up as an isolation tank for new fish and also to use for my guppies again when no new fish are being bought. It is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but a step in the right direction I know.

So I wanted to join a group for some feedback - to help pick myself up cos I love these creatures and have felt very down since the angels died and my other fish were put into danger.

I went back to the store where the sick fish came from and there was some left in there covered in velvet and they were still selling them!! I spoke to the manager and complained very loudly and they eventually said they would quarantine the tank - they are not a good store and I will NEVER buy from them again.

Anyway sorry this is so long winded - thanks
Best wishes
Lynne

So to update on what I wrote yesterday - I removed 50% of the tank water today and re-treated with full dose of both Esha 2000 and Esha exit - the instructions say I can do this with stubborn cases of Velvet protozoa - the two youngest and smallest of the clown loaches are in a bad way and covered with the **** stuff and I have lost a few guppies although they are as tough as old boots having been born and bred in this water for many years!
It is an emergency treatment trying to save these two fish which I have had for 2 months now and they were doing so well - of course they are vulnerable to outbreaks like this - if they pull through it will be a miracle - I NEED a miracle right now!!
This is day 7 of treatment and am I any nearer to the end of it............I really dont know!
Best
Lynne

Back
Top Bottom