Introducing myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wldcat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Working on my fish tank has turned into a real hobby. I started out 5 months ago with a 15gallon and now I have a 30gallon tank. Years ago I had a 40 but never really got into the hobby it was more of a piece of furniture. But now I'm starting to get in to live plants and wanting to learn so much more.

Currently i have 3 Cory catfish, 1 Oto catfish, 2 neon, 3 glow light, 2 red minor tetras 3 different platys and 3 zebra danios.

Is this to much for my 30gal tank? Is there any room for more? Still trying to figure out how many fish the tank can handle. Thanks for any advice. IMG_2757.jpg

I'm the wrong person to comment on how many fish to keep in a certain size tank but I do know that you should have at least 6 neons as they're schooling fish. In fact all tetras to my knowledge are. Whether you have the room I have no idea but I'm sure there are plenty of people here that do know.

Working on my fish tank has turned into a real hobby. I started out 5 months ago with a 15gallon and now I have a 30gallon tank. Years ago I had a 40 but never really got into the hobby it was more of a piece of furniture. But now I'm starting to get in to live plants and wanting to learn so much more.

Currently i have 3 Cory catfish, 1 Oto catfish, 2 neon, 3 glow light, 2 red minor tetras 3 different platys and 3 zebra danios.

Is this to much for my 30gal tank? Is there any room for more? Still trying to figure out how many fish the tank can handle. Thanks for any advice. View attachment 299541

I'm a bit prejudiced.
I'd return the Red Minors ...can be nippy.
Return the Zebra Danios...too zippy and eat all the food. Platies ? Only males.

Add 3 more Cories, same type.

Wait a week or 2. Keep checking water.

Add 6 more Neons
Wait and test

Add 5 more Glowlight Tetras
Wait, Test, Test....

Add 2-4 more Otos last.

The larger groups of Neons and Glowlights will really show off. I have 21 Neons and 9 Rummynose in my 55g. I'm building up my Cory sterbai as I can. And Otos.

A mishmash of fish never shows off as well and they may stress and die younger. They are programmed to need groups to feel safe.

IMG_3984.jpg

I'm a bit prejudiced.
I'd return the Red Minors ...can be nippy.
Return the Zebra Danios...too zippy and eat all the food. Platies ? Only males.

Add 3 more Cories, same type.

Wait a week or 2. Keep checking water.

Add 6 more Neons
Wait and test

Add 5 more Glowlight Tetras
Wait, Test, Test....

Add 2-4 more Otos last.

The larger groups of Neons and Glowlights will really show off. I have 21 Neons and 9 Rummynose in my 55g. I'm building up my Cory sterbai as I can. And Otos.

A mishmash of fish never shows off as well and they may stress and die younger. They are programmed to need groups to feel safe.

View attachment 299589

Yeah I started off before I really researched I had a 15 gal tank and just got a couple of each then got hooked. Someone gave me my current 30g got it set up cycled and moved stock over from the 15.

I'm planning on doing what has been suggested in upping the schools I want to keep. And slowly moving out the others.

Lots of fun to come. Thanks for the input.

Yeah I started off before I really researched I had a 15 gal tank and just got a couple of each then got hooked. Someone gave me my current 30g got it set up cycled and moved stock over from the 15.

I'm planning on doing what has been suggested in upping the schools I want to keep. And slowly moving out the others.

Lots of fun to come. Thanks for the input.

And yes the platies are all male

Back
Top Bottom