Moving from the last unanswered post down:
1) Heaters. Thx. I live in Northern California (the world's largest outdoor insane asylum). It gets HOT in the summer, and winters are 30a-40s at night and 50a-60s in the day. Much more important for me to run AC
during the day or evening to keep the tank from overheating. So would one 250 watt do it?
2) Digital thermo looks interesting. You are obviously extremely knowledgeable and would not use it unless it was accurate. I will give it a try.
3) I have not tested our PH out of the tap yet. I will soon. The hob
idea sounds interesting.
4) The ceramic rings and bio balls and filter media is helpful.
5) I am learning to be a DIY person and have been reading about making fake rocks, etc. And you wrote that as well! Nice. I might try that.
NEXT QUESTION: Substrate and lighting. Argonite sand mixed with some small pebbles? Any opinion on color of substrate and why?