Introducing Myself---and Thanks for Any Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Militarybooks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I am back into the hobby after many years away (family, moves, career, etc.) You know how it goes. I used to have a 135 gal african cichlid tank and a 75 general freshwater tank. It has been about 14 years. I was a trial attorney for a long while, but fell into my love and passion for books and history and have built a successful military history publishing company. Beats the pants off working for a living. :)

Just picked up a 135 with no accessories on a nice stand (which I am stripping and staining to match my floor--quite a task). I am going to do another African cichlid tank and am so looking forward to that. Just reacquainting myself with all the complexities of keeping this fish, the robust nature of the Internet vis a vis our fish hobby, and thinking about equipment to pick up, whether to make my own fake rocks or buy regular rocks, and so on.

I welcome ALL ideas, from lighting to substrate and all in between. Right now trying to figure out Rena or FLuval, and what size canisters and one or two. Thanks a lot. I know I am going to love this forum and website.

Ted

:welcome: to AA! :)
I have xp2 and 3 and love them. Is go ether two for a 6' tank.
---

Hi Andy

Thanks. So you have two Rena canisters. You find them quiet, safe, and reliable and effective? So many to choose from.

I am not sure what your last sentence means? If you mean you would definitely use two on a six foot tank, what sizes would you recommend, and why?

[And anyone reading, please jump in. I value your opinions.]

THANKS.

Militarybooks said:
---

Hi Andy

Thanks. So you have two Rena canisters. You find them quiet, safe, and reliable and effective? So many to choose from.

I am not sure what your last sentence means? If you mean you would definitely use two on a six foot tank, what sizes would you recommend, and why?

[And anyone reading, please jump in. I value your opinions.]

THANKS.

*Haha that should of said I'd use two on a 6' tank lol

I've had my renas for years, not sure how long but something like 8-10. Never had a problem with them and they are real quite to where I can't hear them at all. I'd buy 2 xp2 that should be plenty and give you a good amount of water movement.

Last edited:
This filter, that filter, two of these, and . . .AH!

*Haha that should of said I'd use two on a 6' tank lol

I've had my renas for years, not sure how long but something like 8-10. Never had a problem with them and they are real quite to where I can't hear them at all. I'd buy 2 xp2 that should be plenty and give you a good amount of water movement.
---

Thanks. I had a local fellow tell me to get an XP4 and XP3. You think a pair of XP2s would be OK. Filtration is critical, as you know. Just want to get it right . . .:whistle:

Militarybooks said:
---

Thanks. I had a local fellow tell me to get an XP4 and XP3. You think a pair of XP2s would be OK. Filtration is critical, as you know. Just want to get it right . . .:whistle:

Oops my bad I had to read your first post again lol. I have a 180g african cichlid tank and I use the xp3 and 2 with no water issues. I started using a hob with filter floss just to pick up free floating junk and gets replaced every couple days. It is recommended to filter african cichlid tank 8-10x. So in that case you should have 2 xp4. I didn't worry about it since I already had mine plus I have a sump that I don't run anymore but can if it comes to it. I don't know what I was thinking when I said xp2 lol. Hope you can forgive me ;) and I hope this helps.

Edit

This may come in handy aswell
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

Last edited:
Oops my bad I had to read your first post again lol. I have a 180g african cichlid tank and I use the xp3 and 2 with no water issues. I started using a hob with filter floss just to pick up free floating junk and gets replaced every couple days. It is recommended to filter african cichlid tank 8-10x. So in that case you should have 2 xp4. I didn't worry about it since I already had mine plus I have a sump that I don't run anymore but can if it comes to it. I don't know what I was thinking when I said xp2 lol. Hope you can forgive me ;) and I hope this helps.

Edit

This may come in handy aswell
Lake Malawi and Aquarium Stocking Cichlids - Aquarium Advice

It does help a lot, thank you. And a very nice article, penned by yourself. Nice job. Let me keep chewing on your good willingness to help, if I may, and ask a couple more questions/opinions of things I am research now:

1) Heater brand/size, number?

2) Ditto with Thermometer?

3) What other hardware accessories do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Militarybooks said:
It does help a lot, thank you. And a very nice article, penned by yourself. Nice job. Let me keep chewing on your good willingness to help, if I may, and ask a couple more questions/opinions of things I am research now:

1) Heater brand/size, number?

2) Ditto with Thermometer?

3) What other hardware accessories do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

I actually went digital to try it and I like it so this is the one I have. I've heard you can get them cheap on eBay. http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith....089&rk=3&uid=398942633&method=and&isort=score

I have used different heaters over the years and this is the one I like the best and I use two 250 watt heaters. I live in Ohio and it can get pretty cold in the winter plus my tank is in the basement. So I suggest you should use the same watts if it gets cold where you live. It's also nice to have two so one doesn't have to work so hard and if one breaks the temp won't drop down a lot.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23952

Other stuff
Another member that you'll get to know eventually named convict. He is the one that got me started on a hang on back filter. Just to run filter floss in and crushed coral to raise your ph. I don't raise my ph because I have naturally hard water but the filter floss is so nasty after a couple days I have to replace it. If you need to use crushed coral you'll want to pick up a media bag sold at most local fish stores ( lfs), if you don't want to you can use panty hose.

1: hob ( hang on back filter)
2: filter floss
3: crushed coral ( if needed)
4: media bag

That's that what else can I dig up lol

A really good power head. You can aim it down at the sand to help stir up the poo so your filters can suck it up.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23592
5: power head
6: Api master test kit
7: hikari or nls food

I think that's it for now lol. I'm ready for more questions :)

Last edited:
Brilliant Help, Andrew

If your a DIY person you may like to look at this or for the know how lol
3D freshwater aquarium backgrounds - Aquarium Advice

Moving from the last unanswered post down:

1) Heaters. Thx. I live in Northern California (the world's largest outdoor insane asylum). It gets HOT in the summer, and winters are 30a-40s at night and 50a-60s in the day. Much more important for me to run AC during the day or evening to keep the tank from overheating. So would one 250 watt do it?

2) Digital thermo looks interesting. You are obviously extremely knowledgeable and would not use it unless it was accurate. I will give it a try.

3) I have not tested our PH out of the tap yet. I will soon. The hob idea sounds interesting.

4) The ceramic rings and bio balls and filter media is helpful.

5) I am learning to be a DIY person and have been reading about making fake rocks, etc. And you wrote that as well! Nice. I might try that.

NEXT QUESTION: Substrate and lighting. Argonite sand mixed with some small pebbles? Any opinion on color of substrate and why?

thx

Andrew

I see that some of the reviews for the water pumps are very mixed. What is your experience with this brand? Also I think in a 6-foot tank I will need two to keep water circulating in a clockwise manner. Which size do you suggest? Yes? Any chance we could chat on a phone for 10 minutes? Let me know and thanks again. You have been so kind and helpful.

Militarybooks said:
Moving from the last unanswered post down:

1) Heaters. Thx. I live in Northern California (the world's largest outdoor insane asylum). It gets HOT in the summer, and winters are 30a-40s at night and 50a-60s in the day. Much more important for me to run AC during the day or evening to keep the tank from overheating. So would one 250 watt do it?

2) Digital thermo looks interesting. You are obviously extremely knowledgeable and would not use it unless it was accurate. I will give it a try.

3) I have not tested our PH out of the tap yet. I will soon. The hob idea sounds interesting.

4) The ceramic rings and bio balls and filter media is helpful.

5) I am learning to be a DIY person and have been reading about making fake rocks, etc. And you wrote that as well! Nice. I might try that.

NEXT QUESTION: Substrate and lighting. Argonite sand mixed with some small pebbles? Any opinion on color of substrate and why?

thx

1: I think you'll be ok with one. Here it gets around 0 so that's a big temperature difference.

2: I still have a temperature strip on my tank that I had on before the digital and they both read the same.

3: its amazing the amount of stuff it picks up it does a great job polishing the water.

4: that's great :)

5: thanks

6: lighting most of us use saltwater bulbs with blues and purples it makes the tank look sweet imo

7: sand : I went for a all natural sand the only downfall I don't like about it is everything shows up on it. Black is really nice and hides all the poo. I used quickrete play sand its a lot cheaper then what you'll find at an lfs ( local fish store ) found at most hardware stores. There are other sand like pool filter sand and multi purpose sands that I heard are easyer to clean then play sand.

Why the pebbles? Never used it or heard of anyone using it with Cichlids

Next lol

Militarybooks said:
Andrew

I see that some of the reviews for the water pumps are very mixed. What is your experience with this brand? Also I think in a 6-foot tank I will need two to keep water circulating in a clockwise manner. Which size do you suggest? Yes? Any chance we could chat on a phone for 10 minutes? Let me know and thanks again. You have been so kind and helpful.

If your going to run two xp4 then I would aim for one like the model 750. I like the head I posted up a couple posts. It's hard to tell since I don't have the xp4 but going off the gph on it I would think that would be plenty of circulation. I'll pm you my number and hopefully someone will chime in here because its always nice to have other opinions.

With a Malawi tank this would be another good article to read up on http://www.aquariumadvice.com/introduction-adding-decor-aquarium/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom