Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuartf1986

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone

My name is Stuart,I am really interested in getting my first aquarium but I am a complete novice and am just looking for what's best to get started,any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

You need to do a Fishless Cycle, I'm sure some of the other members will go into detail for you.

What size tank do you have?

Hi

Sorry I should have said I don't have a tank yet,what size would u recommend for a beginner?

Hi

Sorry I should have said I don't have a tank yet,what size would u recommend for a beginner?

As big as u can afford! Novice (including old me) believes that small tanks are easier to maintain! but no its not! its actually harder because u have less room for error! :)

Also a big warm welcome to AA! may u flourish in this hobby! hahah:fish2:

Hi

To start with, decide what fish your looking to get as that will decide the size of the tank you'll need, which determines the size of filtration needed. Let us know what fish your interested in, we can help with suggestions. Some fish are schooling/ shoaling fish that need to be in groups so they feel secure, thus ultimately in better health.

Believe it or not, bigger is actually better .. or easier. The larger the tank volume, the more forgiving should you make a mistake (it happens).

jcolon said:
To start with, decide what fish your looking to get as that will decide the size of the tank you'll need, which determines the size of filtration needed. Let us know what fish your interested in, we can help with suggestions. Some fish are schooling/ shoaling fish that need to be in groups so they feel secure, thus ultimately in better health.

Believe it or not, bigger is actually better .. or easier. The larger the tank volume, the more forgiving should you make a mistake (it happens).

Good morning jcolon!

Good point, decide what fish you like, and we will tell you the best aquarium size.

+10 A lot of folks (including myself) focus on that nice big tank at first. You can quickly find yourself well invested in a setup that is totally wrong for the fish you have finally decided on. I waited to do all of my research while the tank was set up and cycling so I just bought my second 55g as the future home of my cichlids. I guess that's not all that bad though :)

I wouldn't go to big though, 55gallons and below. I think any bigger and you may feel overwelmed

Ultimately ... the volume will be decided by the fish, but a 55gallon is a nice size tank that is not overly large .. even for a beginner. IMO anything smaller than a 20 gal requires constant vigilance and PWC's during cycling.

Thanks for the advice guys,am off to have a look tonight at what fish I want, I will keep u posted.

Welcome to AA! Check out the link in my signature on fishless cycling before you buy any fish.

Good luck, hope you see something you like.
BTW, as a general rule, whatever your lfs says to do, do the opposite.
Have a look and let us know what your interested in, the members will give a no nonsense straight up advice.

Hi everyone

I had a look tonight at some fish,I really look like the look of the redtail shark fish?is this a good fish to start out with?what size of tank would I need?

Stuartf1986 said:
Hi everyone

I had a look tonight at some fish,I really look like the look of the redtail shark fish?is this a good fish to start out with?what size of tank would I need?

It's relatively aggressive, but it's a very cool fish! A 55 gallon would work perfectly for one of them, and a bunch of other fish! Did you see any others you liked?

Back
Top Bottom