Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoota

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I'm new to this site however I seem to have done everything all back to front as I've already started a thread :whistle: - please forgive me, this is my first ever time joining any forum
History - I used to have an "accidental" marine aquarium, I say accidental because it was spur of the moment as my parents decided to purchase a massive marine aquarium set up & bought 2 lots of clown fish & anemones, which of course you can't put together (they were different types) So, on the spur of the moment, I bought a small tank set up - probably only 20 litres to house 1 set of clown fish & their anemone until I could afford a decent set up. This was my first ever experience with any indoor fish at all - a marine tank!
Things went well for a while until I got the itch to buy more fish to add to this little 20 litre tank against all advice from my parents & the pet shop - there was just sooo many beautiful marine fish. Of course they all eventually died before I learned my lesson, including the cute little skunk clown fish that started it all :sorry:
I bought a new set of clown fish, this time Maroon Clown Fish (we called them Big Fitch & Little Fitch :D) & an all in one AQUA ONE AR-620 tank & stand - it was a nice modern looking tank & stand that suited my home perfect, 90 ltrs & was apparently suitable for a marine aquarium. I set the tank up nicely with live rock, Big Fitch, Little Fitch & their anemone & then slowly added a couple more fish. The tank went so well for about a couple of years, I loved it, it looked beautiful inside, the fish were happy & healthy etc. well, any fish that Big Fitch didn't try to feed to his anemone that is....
Then I got a phone call at work from an old neighbour at 9am on Thursday 23rd September 2004 telling me my house was on fire :eek:.
Turns out something (I can't even remember what it was anymore) in the tank caught fire & the salt creep conducted the electricity & bypassed the cutoff switch. The salt creep was inside the lid of the tank around the light switch - it's sealed!
The firemen thought they were doing the right thing by throwing Big Fitch (the only fish that was still alive in the tank) into the "fresh water" pond in the front yard :facepalm: R.I.P. Big Fitch
So, whilst I would really love to set up a marine aquarium again, we're scared off them now :(
Currently: We now have a small 70 ltr tank with Dude the Oscar & once a filter is repaired, I will be cycling a 200ltr tank to put him in (the 200 ltr tank & accessories is the one my parents had (y) )
I've joined the forum to get ideas & advice because this tank is huge compared to what I've had to look after previously & because Dude is a bit crook, I needed some advice.

So there you have it, my life story with fish & aquariums :wave: I hope it's not too long...

Kylie

:welcome: to AA.

Sounds like you have all the experience you need. Your newer tank may be bigger than what your used to but in this hobby bigger is actually easier. The extra volume of water is more forgiving, not as prone to quick temperature swings, and allows for more time for ammonia to build up, so you have time for PWC's. basically ... gives more room for error.

Back
Top Bottom