Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StooBroo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi AllI am just in the process of starting my first aquarium, I have brought second hand a 70L Aquaone tank and had it running for nearly a week hoping to add some plants and tetras this weekend. Because I am in Adelaide I am struggling to get my PH down, the water here is some of the worst chemically in the whole of Australia, it seems I have to use 60-100 drops of PH Down daily to get the water neutral.
Any help or advice you can give me would be most appreciated. We have a 300L tank at work and we have struggled to get that good to go too, loosing all five of the guppy s we introduced this week :-( though the five Molly's seem to be ok.
Will introducing the plants and fish help keep the PH neutral?
Many thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to AA!

Most people on here suggest (myself included) to not try and mess with the PH. Using PH Down drops will fluctuate the PH and stress the fish, possibly leading to the death of the Guppies.

I would suggest researching fish from Australia, they will be more accustomed to the higher PH.

In your 70L tank, I would suggest looking into Desert Gobies. They are pretty good for smaller tanks. They like rocks, so I would suggest using sand and rocks for a more natural feel. They are incredibly hardy fish, capable of thriving in temps of 106 all the way down to about 50 degrees F IIRC. Amazingly, they are also found in freshwater, all the way to marine conditions! In your tank size, I would suggest getting about 5-6 Gobies. Here is a good page about them. Chlamydogobius eremius – Desert Goby (Gobius eremius) — Seriously Fish

In the 300L, I would suggest doing many types of Rainbow Fish. They are also from Australia, and come in many different colors, shapes, and sizes. They can be a little more expensive than your average Guppy, but much cooler! There are different species of Rainbow Fish, so I would suggest researching them online, and reporting back with the ones you like.

To answer your question, plants and fish will not change the PH.

Also, I would read these links!! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Most important is the cycling one.

+1 to the advice from scottyhorse.

I would like to add though that generally aquarium fish can thrive in a fairly wide range of pH. Personally, mine resides around 8.0 - 8.3 and my fish are just fine in it. As long as your pH isn't much higher than 8.5 ish you will be better off just ignoring the pH of your water and letting it stay where it is. When pH is concerned the stability of the pH is WAY more important than the number itself.

Hi and thank you, busily reading through everything.....this could be a long night :)

Just tested it again and now between 6.8 and 7.0 and 24c......I think I'm obsessed by PH :-(

PH, IMO, is less important than ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Well I guess that would mean a cycled tank.

Hi SH and yes with the drops but upon advice from my local shop they have suggested replacing my carbon filter, introducing a couple of plants and five guppy s to start the cycle off, which I have done. Going to keep my eye on them for a couple of weeks, and keep testing, before introducing more fish, will let you know how I get on :)

In the future, do yourself a favor and ignore what those people at the LFS tell you.

In my opinion there are only 2 uses for carbon in an aquarium. One is removing tannins from a tank and the other is to remove medications from a tank. Them telling you to replace your filter is just an attempt to get some money from you for new filters. The only time you ever need to change your filter is when it is completely falling apart.

With 5 guppies in a roughly 15g tank it is going to be a bit of a chore to get your tank safely established. You are going to need to test very often for ammonia readings and change your water accordingly.

What is the pH reading of your tap water?

The. PH of Adelaide tap water is really really high, some of the worst in Australia hence everyone uses a puratap, which I filled the tank with, I would estimate 7.8-8.0 as my test kit only goes up to 7.6.
:)

My ph is also 8.0-8.2 and the fish are fine. Test the water in the bag that the fish come in from your LFS (or ask them what their ph usually runs) I bet it is high too. As others said, ammonia and nitrite spikes are deadlier than ph. Make sure you acclimate your fish before putting them in your tank.

Also you should get a high ph test kit from API, no need to use the ph kit since you're ph is high.

Thanks for that Bix, I will get a high range PH tester this weekend and I have access to the nitrate/nitrite testers at work, I was really careful putting the guppy s in, they all look like they're smiling ;-)

Agreed. an 8.0 pH is perfectly fine. It's what I keep all 6 of my tanks at. The only time you need to worry about changing pH is when you are keeping overly sensitive fish like a discus.

Agreed. an 8.0 pH is perfectly fine. It's what I keep all 6 of my tanks at. The only time you need to worry about changing pH is when you are keeping overly sensitive fish like a discus.

Thanks for that, I won't be so paranoid about the PH .....my five guppies seem pretty happy at the mo, looking forward to adding different species in a few weeks.
:)

Update on my new tank, three weeks in four plants looking healthy, eight guppys all happy, PH still a little high but ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all good :)

Back
Top Bottom