Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjg523

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the hobby but I already have multiple tank syndrome as I have heard it called. I currently have an established 10 gallon tank and I couldn't resist the urge to borderline overcrowd it so I bought a second tank that is 30 gallons. Like a lot of people here I started into the hobby very ignorant and almost killed my current group of fish by dumping them into an uncycled tank thanks to the poor advice of an equally uneducated chain pet store employee. Luckily after they started acting strangely I found this forum and figured out how to save them so I have now decided to join and continue to benefit from the decades plus of experience you all have and maybe even help someone else who has a similar experience to mine.

Welcome to the forum. I am new too.
I have already had confirmed the first rule of fish keeping - don't take advice from anyone who profits from you (LFS). This forum provides an ideal opportunity to pick the brains of like minded others.
Steve.

Welcome to the forum. I am new too.
I have already had confirmed the first rule of fish keeping - don't take advice from anyone who profits from you (LFS). This forum provides an ideal opportunity to pick the brains of like minded others.
Steve.

It is sad too because so far I have been misinformed by Petco. The guy sold me a tank and fish on the same day. (I believe that the guy actually didn't know that was wrong so I won't accuse him of lying)
I was flat out lied to by the OWNER of a LFS who told me it was totally fine to add multiple more fish into an uncycled tank because with freshwater fish there is no need to cycle (He clearly knew better and flat out lied for the sale)

What is so sad is that I am an incredibly loyal person even to companies. I have had the same mechanic since my first car, the same doctor my whole life, and shop at the same grocery store since my teenage years. Had they given me accurate advice I would have likely spent thousands of dollars of my money in their stores over the years. Now I know they are either ignorant or flat out liars so they have lost my business.

Well I hope that you get better advice on the forum than from your LFS. It seems such a common story. Good luck with your future fish keeping its a great hobby. Steve.

Welcome!! :) Glad you found this forum! Some LFS you can trust, you just have to find the right ones, and usually it is not at a chain store like Petco or Petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom