Introduction and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodles_one

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all. Good to be on the forums now.

Names Ashley. From the south of Australia and recently just started an aquarium.
My partner and I. Recently purchased a 65L tank with heater and 3 angelfish and 3 cardinal tetras. Everything was going okay. Did 10% water change after a week. Then added 3 more cardinals then the angel fish spent a lot of time at the top of the water. Then this morning we lost one. Very sad. Its quite stressful as this our first time and it's sad losing fish and it was my partners favorite. The other 2 I think may have ammonia poisoning due to the fact it's a fresh tank and we haven't cycled it yet.

We did a 50% water change today with declorinated water and stress coat. The Angels were okay for a few minutes then they were back to the top again.

I really don't want to lose Any more angels and i know it's harsh on them. Any help would be great with the matter. I think Ive mentioned everything.

Thanks.

Doodles_one said:
Hey all. Good to be on the forums now.

Names Ashley. From the south of Australia and recently just started an aquarium.
My partner and I. Recently purchased a 65L tank with heater and 3 angelfish and 3 cardinal tetras. Everything was going okay. Did 10% water change after a week. Then added 3 more cardinals then the angel fish spent a lot of time at the top of the water. Then this morning we lost one. Very sad. Its quite stressful as this our first time and it's sad losing fish and it was my partners favorite. The other 2 I think may have ammonia poisoning due to the fact it's a fresh tank and we haven't cycled it yet.

We did a 50% water change today with declorinated water and stress coat. The Angels were okay for a few minutes then they were back to the top again.

I really don't want to lose Any more angels and i know it's harsh on them. Any help would be great with the matter. I think Ive mentioned everything.

Thanks.

Welcome to AA!
First off angels need a 30 gal tank at the bare minimum, for yours I would get a 55 or rehome one and get a thirty
If you can't get a bigger tank rehome all the fish because the cardinals need at the minimum 20 gallons also

When I started, I had ammonia problems also. My LFS said to do 20% water changes ever other day.

Your nitrite levels will spike also. Just keep changing your water. I don't like he idea of adding chems. unless its an emergency. Test your levels daily and change your water a lot.

That is what I did and after 3 weeks everything cycled fine. It will drop like magic.

Peace.

Awesome. Thanks heaps for the advice guys. I'll just keep changing water for now. Hopefully I don't lose anymore angels. There good fishys. I'll keep updates.

Thanks again guys.

My father in law is old school and has had fish longer than I've known him. He makes fun of me all the time for working so hard for my tank.

My LFS has given great advice so far and they say don't add chems unless they are sick and change your water. and if they are, being a water sample first.

BTW, do you have a master test kit?

I haven't got the master test kit yet. But it's deffinatley on the list for my next pay. I currently have ammonia test strips. But they don't seem very affective.

The master kit is quite expensive. Is it great in the long run?

Yes. It's more accurate, Last longer, and test for regular ph, high ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates.

I payed about $35 (us?) don't know where you're at. It's great.

I'm actually in Australia lol. It's about $57 AUS. But I will get one next pay. Will come in handy.

The angels just seem to be spending alot of time at the surface but don't look unhealthy? So I'm not sure of its normal or if they should be swimming around lower or whatnot.

Hello all ^_^
I am new to your Aquarium Forum and have a question or two. My hubby and I are just starting out in fish keeping / breeding. We have a 55 gallon tropical fish aquarium. In it, we have Mickey Mouse Platies, Fancy Guppies and a few Glow Light Tetras. The tank is very healthy and at an almost constant temperature of 82 degrees. I have read that for a good breeding habitat, that's where the temp. should be. Is this true? Also, I think one of my Mickey Mouse Platy's is pregnant. When my guppies are pregnant, you can tell when they are about to give birth, by the dark gravid area....but how can you tell with the Mickey Mouse Platy? She dark red with a very defined black Mickey Mouse on her tail. She's so dark red, I don't think you'll be able to see the dark gravid area. Any suggestions?

LPreciousAngel said:
Hello all ^_^
I am new to your Aquarium Forum and have a question or two. My hubby and I are just starting out in fish keeping / breeding. We have a 55 gallon tropical fish aquarium. In it, we have Mickey Mouse Platies, Fancy Guppies and a few Glow Light Tetras. The tank is very healthy and at an almost constant temperature of 82 degrees. I have read that for a good breeding habitat, that's where the temp. should be. Is this true? Also, I think one of my Mickey Mouse Platy's is pregnant. When my guppies are pregnant, you can tell when they are about to give birth, by the dark gravid area....but how can you tell with the Mickey Mouse Platy? She dark red with a very defined black Mickey Mouse on her tail. She's so dark red, I don't think you'll be able to see the dark gravid area. Any suggestions?

this will get the answer it needs if you start a new thread, posting in someone else's thread will greatly limit your responses.

Good luck though

Good things so far. Did a 50% water change this morning. Angel fish still spent a lot of time at top so went and bought a bubbler today then did a minor water change. About 30% and he seems to be swimming around alot more than he was. He does come to the surface from time to time but then goes back to swimming. Unfortunately I think he's blind as he keeps bumping into the plants and can't see food. I'll give it 24 hours and see how he is.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom