Introduction and help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jujacquesdi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I'm a new member. Please help?? Can anybody tell me why my yoyo loach keeps flicking? He's ok for a couple of weeks &I then he starts again? I have had him a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Welcome to the forum :)

There is a search function on the app or website which can be handy to try.

Is anything changing in the tank when flicking. Which I assume is around the gills?

Hello,

Welcome to the forum :)

There is a search function on the app or website which can be handy to try.

Is anything changing in the tank when flicking. Which I assume is around the gills?
Hi delapool thanks for answering. I sometimes have too much brown algae which is when I do a water change. I have 180lts 47us gals & 4neons 6glowlights 2clowns & 2 angelfish as well as my yoyo. My yoyo is the only one that is flicking there is no white spot on any of them so don't know why he keeps doing it?? Help

Could it be after a water change or feeding? Or if the algae gets too much? Also no filter wool or anything like that exposed in tank?

If just occasional then it doesn't sound like a parasite (check gill plates are closing properly and not red), just something in the water that irritates every so often. Or if after feeding time, that should be fine.

Mine did it for several months before stopping.

Is the algae going away?

Last to check would be do you have water test readings? Ph, nitrates, etc.

Could it be after a water change or feeding? Or if the algae gets too much? Also no filter wool or anything like that exposed in tank?

If just occasional then it doesn't sound like a parasite (check gill plates are closing properly and not red), just something in the water that irritates every so often. Or if after feeding time, that should be fine.

Mine did it for several months before stopping.

Is the algae going away?

Last to check would be do you have water test readings? Ph, nitrates, etc.

Yoyo has been ok but everything going brown again & he's started flicking again? When I do a water change the water failey clear but my plants & all stones & shells are brown my nitrates are 20 & nitrites 0 so I'm going to do another water change & see if he starts again when next one due again??

I do about 30% weekly water changes. I don't think weekly water changes is uncommon.

This sounds like just an irritation but I'm assuming your tank is a year old and cycled? Also how long are you running lights for?

I do about 30% weekly water changes. I don't think weekly water changes is uncommon.

This sounds like just an irritation but I'm assuming your tank is a year old and cycled? Also how long are you running lights for?

Thanks Delapool I have only had this tank since Feb but it was bought then from other owners who used it as cold water!! I have had 3 tanks in the last year gone to a bigger one each time. I have had tanks before & I probably done water changes every week then so I think that's what I will have to do! [emoji1303]

Thanks Delapool I have only had this tank since Feb but it was bought then from other owners who used it as cold water!! I have had 3 tanks in the last year gone to a bigger one each time. I have had tanks before & I probably done water changes every week then so I think that's what I will have to do! [emoji1303]

I have the lights in timer for 1-2 hours 3 times a day [emoji15][emoji1303]

I have done a3rd water change &I I will do test in a couple of hours when everything settled &I I will let you know results.

I have done a3rd water change &I I will do test in a couple of hours when everything settled &I I will let you know results.

Hi again nitrates20 nitrite0 ph7 kh80 gh120 I have always had problems with gh & kh. I always use tap water safe, how can I get lower results please help?? I ran out of amonia strips[emoji1304]

That all seems fine - since you have run out of ammonia strips I'd swap across to a solution / vial test kit (eg API freshwater master test kit) as the liquid test kits are more accurate than strips. I find the strips can under read. My loaches are in similar readings.

Lights for 6 hours(?) sounds fine. Normally algae shouldn't be this bad - does the tank get a lot of natural sunlight? It sounds like solve the algae and this will help the loach if that makes sense?

That all seems fine - since you have run out of ammonia strips I'd swap across to a solution / vial test kit (eg API freshwater master test kit) as the liquid test kits are more accurate than strips. I find the strips can under read. My loaches are in similar readings.

Lights for 6 hours(?) sounds fine. Normally algae shouldn't be this bad - does the tank get a lot of natural sunlight? It sounds like solve the algae and this will help the loach if that makes sense?

Hi Thanks I will try the liquid test. This is my tank it looks great now no brown algae but after about 6-7days it gets brown everywhere. Forgive the blue background that's how it was & it's painted on [emoji1304][emoji12]
f0ecf737616a246702c61fad776c4453.jpg
f7c65bd319835c118f726e173cbd1f4d.jpg
81ec817b97d8db84c5eb3ff8e852e6f4.jpg
8b41adc3d979ddf41f2774c22abb520e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom