Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Introduction and Question

Hi there! I am new to this site and to fish keeping. I recently purchased a 13 gallon tank and have 3 platys in it right now. I am wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions for other fish to add to my tank? Also is it hard to add live plants to a tank that is already filled with water and fish?

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to my new journey in fish keeping!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome we are glad to have you! That certainly is odd gallonage for a tank lol.

The answer to the plants: yes you can! As long you have a light on the tank there is a few plants that will grow in almost any tank. Anubias and Java Fern are great starters. Amazon swords are easy too as long as you put a root tab under them to help root growth.

Fish: yes you have room! Www.AqAdvisor.com is a great recourse to help stock your tank. I went with the 14g bio cube since you said 13. Says your only at 57% so a school of harlequins or zebra danios would be cool!

Hope this helps!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Old 02-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Awesome, I will definitely be looking into adding some plants then! I will also look up those fish and look forward to adding more fish to my tank!

The tank is a 13 gallon "widescreen" tank so my understanding is that it's as long and as high as a 20 gallon but just doesn't have as much depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Awesome, I will definitely be looking into adding some plants then! I will also look up those fish and look forward to adding more fish to my tank!

The tank is a 13 gallon "widescreen" tank so my understanding is that it's as long and as high as a 20 gallon but just doesn't have as much depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great keep us posted how it goes!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 02-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to AA. Looks like you can add some more fish, but please do your research so you do not run into problems with compatability, size requirements, etc.

What type of filter are you running? And have you invested in a liquid test kit for your parameters?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #7

Hi, I do have a liquid test kit for the water parameters, I have one for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I purchased this tank as a kit so I am running the filter that came with it, which is a QuietFlow filter.

Right now I am looking into what types of fish I want in the tank, I want to have a fairly active tank and am looking to add some more fish and some plants in the near future so I would love any suggestions that you have.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Hi, I do have a liquid test kit for the water parameters, I have one for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I purchased this tank as a kit so I am running the filter that came with it, which is a QuietFlow filter.

Right now I am looking into what types of fish I want in the tank, I want to have a fairly active tank and am looking to add some more fish and some plants in the near future so I would love any suggestions that you have.

Cory cats. Easy bottom feeders to care for. Very active the larger the group. Pretty small depending on species. Very cute fish IMO lol. Groups of 6+

They are not my favorite but guppies are active and come in a variety of colors. Tread carefully to pick all males or all females because they breed like wildfire and you will have more fry than you know what to do with lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tags
intro, introduction, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com