Introduction and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyFishGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there! I am obviously new to this site. I got a lot of information from this site when setting up my new tank so I thought I would just go a head and join.

A little about my aquarium experience: I got my first little 1 gallon when I was about seven. Of course I was not every responsible and eventually got rid of it. I then got another when I was twelve but got discourage when my fish would not live more than a year (except for my 5 year of goldfish). Now since I've been in college I have really gotten serious with the whole fish thing. It gives me something to do between class and homework and its very meditating. I keep a Betta at school and have now decided to establish a 10 gallon at my house for my family and I.

I just put up my newest tank (10 gallon) not to long ago and I'm in the process of a fishless cycle. I want to get a few dwarf gouramies. I have done my research on them and believe it will be a good fit. I have plenty of caves and plants! But I still have a few questions that the internet is giving me mixed advice about. I was hoping that your experience may be of help!

So my questions:
1. How many should I get for a 10 gallon? I was planning on 3 but if more is ok I may consider it.
2. Are there any ground feeders that can live with DGs? Like and shrimp or snail...one they will not eat or pick on.
3. Would a group of only males be to aggressive?
4. Is there anything other helpful tips about DGs?

:thanks:

Hello! Welcome to the forum. Here is my advice:
1. I'd only put one dwarf gourami in a 10, if any. Most people recommend keeping them in 20 gallon tanks at the least.
2. In a 10 gallon, your options are definitely limited. Some great options would be pygmy cories (hard to find but super cool) or ottos. You could definitely keep some shrimp (ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp are both easy to keep) or some snails (nerite or mystery).
3. Given a large enough tank, there would be enough hiding spots and space to lessen aggression, but since your tank is only a 10 gallon, there would definitely be issues, which is why I only recommend getting one.
4. Just a warning- dwarf gouramis tend to die randomly for unknown reasons. Some say that it is a genetic issue (they have been bred in captivity a lot) but there is no certain cause. Also, dwarf gouramis are very susceptible to bloating and parasites. I have had 2 of mine (I no longer keep them) die from what seemed to be internal parasites (in this case worms), causing them to look bloated.

Hope this helps! :)

I had a DG before and it died randomly. The dwarfs can be aggressive to other males and even given caves and whatever else, 10 gallons isn't recommended. You could get like 3 cories for the bottom like stated before and maybe one mystery snail or something?

Of course i would echo a former post. I do not recommend a ten gallon tank as the smaller the tank the more difficult it is to maintain because the water parameters can fluctuate quickly and they are notoriously unstable. They are also unforgiving to rookie mistakes that all new fish keepers as well as seasoned fish keepers make but it sounds like you are locked in for the ride since you have already bought your tank and started the fishless cycle but if you have a chance to upgrade i would definitely encourage you to do so.
For a ten gallon tank i agree i do not like the dwarf gouramis they are prone to disease. I would maybe suggest some small schooling fish like maybe neon tetra's. These little guys are gorgeous. They are readily bread in captivity which makes them a great deal easier to care for. They like soft to basic water but will do fine in PH ranging from 6.0 - 8.0 but i recommend keeping them in the 6.5 - 7.0 range. They also like cooler temperatures than most popular TF at 58 - 77 degrees. A word of warning they too can fall ill to a incurable illness Neon Tetra Disease.
Another possible stocking option would be maybe white cloud minnows they too like cooler temperatures and would not likely require a heated tank
If you want a little more exotic you can go with a pair of ram cichlids or a pair of Bolivian Ram Cichlids. I really love those little guys the rams dont get above three inches and are a beautiful fish and the bolivian rams dont get above four inches and are also quite stunning. The bolivian rams are a little easier to care for than the ram cichlid.
If you do not like either of the options i have suggested i can probably give you a few more happy hunting and researching

Some good fish for a 10 gallon tank:

• Chili rasboras
  • Celestial pearl danios
  • Ember tetras
  • Guppies
  • Endlers
  • Scarlet badis
  • Pygmy cories

Note: I do not recommend keeping all of these species. I'd keep one schooling species (6-8 would be a good number of them), a few endlers or guppies and then a bottom dwelling fish.

Some good fish for a 10 gallon tank:

[*]Chili rasboras
[*]Celestial pearl danios
[*]Ember tetras
[*]Guppies
[*]Endlers
[*]Scarlet badis
[*]Pygmy cories

Note: I do not recommend keeping all of these species. I'd keep one schooling species (6-8 would be a good number of them), a few endlers or guppies and then a bottom dwelling fish.

I would go with a trio (2 females/ 1male) of guppies and 3-4 cories.

I would go with a trio (2 females/ 1male) of guppies and 3-4 cories.

And just to be clear, a smaller cory species (corydoras pygmaeus) would be best. There are a lot of larger cories that would not be a very good choice for this size tank.

Ok we'll I'm defiantly not be getting a dwarf gourami. Kinda discouraged now about the tank I have now but it was the larges I could go with the amount of space I have. Any ways to help with maintaining water parameter? I'll be stuck with this tank for at least a year.

Of course i would echo a former post. I do not recommend a ten gallon tank as the smaller the tank the more difficult it is to maintain because the water parameters can fluctuate quickly and they are notoriously unstable. They are also unforgiving to rookie mistakes that all new fish keepers as well as seasoned fish keepers make but it sounds like you are locked in for the ride since you have already bought your tank and started the fishless cycle but if you have a chance to upgrade i would definitely encourage you to do so.
For a ten gallon tank i agree i do not like the dwarf gouramis they are prone to disease. I would maybe suggest some small schooling fish like maybe neon tetra's. These little guys are gorgeous. They are readily bread in captivity which makes them a great deal easier to care for. They like soft to basic water but will do fine in PH ranging from 6.0 - 8.0 but i recommend keeping them in the 6.5 - 7.0 range. They also like cooler temperatures than most popular TF at 58 - 77 degrees. A word of warning they too can fall ill to a incurable illness Neon Tetra Disease.
Another possible stocking option would be maybe white cloud minnows they too like cooler temperatures and would not likely require a heated tank
If you want a little more exotic you can go with a pair of ram cichlids or a pair of Bolivian Ram Cichlids. I really love those little guys the rams dont get above three inches and are a beautiful fish and the bolivian rams dont get above four inches and are also quite stunning. The bolivian rams are a little easier to care for than the ram cichlid.
If you do not like either of the options i have suggested i can probably give you a few more happy hunting and researching

Ram Cichlids in a 10 gallon? I may have to look into that. I love cichlid. Just thought my tank was waaay to small for any

Back
Top Bottom