It all started at a county fair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ldog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Over 2 1/2 years ago, my son won a goldfish at a county fair. After buying a 5 gallon set up, the goldfish died, so we got a couple of other fish.

Having had some success (there was failure, too), our family decided to upgrade to a 36 gallon tank. We bought it off Craigs List and it came with most of the water, a couple of fish, gravel, filter, light, etc.

We are loving it. We have had the tank for a little less than 2 months. Had to take 1 of the fish that came with the aquarium to a lfs because it was snacking on my son's neon tetras. But, otherwise, it has been going smoothly. 1 problem I will post in the appropriate forum if I can't solve, but I won't go into it here.

Well, this is what we have:
6 danios (4 glofish, 1 leopard, 1 zebra)
8 neon tetras
2 small angelfish
2 dwarf gourami
4 moons (1 male, 3 female-- 1 of which is young and about the size of a tetra)

Everyone in the family picked out some fish, aquarium decorations, and we chose a couple of plants, plastic and real.

We did our 1st partial water change today. Afterwards we saw a baby fish! It was so tiny, like a splinter with eyes. I had no idea that the moons were prego (been watching for that, but saw no signs). I assume it was a baby moon, but have no idea. I was unable to capture the little fish before it disappeared into the gravel.

Anyway, I've been checking out these forums for helpful advice and info, and I finally decided to join.

Here is a picture of our aquarium. Doing this from my phone, so it might be kinda blurry.

Attachments

• image-1220144564.jpg
    image-1220144564.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 123
Welcome to AA! Be sure to check out the link in my sig on fishless cycling, and be sure to get a test kit. We love pictures, so go nuts!

Welcome! I think you'll find your answers here. Love, love the tank btw. Very nicely done on the interior decoration... Keep up the good work! The aquarium I own has been a real unifying factor for me and my family as well.

And in my opinion, family togetherness is a beautiful thing. Well done!

Thanks, all, forthe warm welcome and advice. What a treat to log on to see so many people welcome me-- and with compliments on the tank, too. Thank you.

Tayeloquin-- I showed my son that you liked the boat he picked out, he was very happy and proud.

Coyotewildfire-- I agree. Our sons are 4 and 6, and we are all enjoying the tank and taking care of it. Not only is it relaxing, but it is interesting and exciting, too. The boys are thrilled whenever fish swim through their decorations. Plus, it's fun to try and solve tank mysteries, ie- why are my plants no longer in the gravel (turned out the gourami were pulling them out and eating the roots). It is a thoroughly rewarding hobby on many levels. I can see why people begin to accumulate multiple tanks.

hi, i LOVE the tank! i really want one about this size, but the old folks say no:( so i'm stuck with a 3 gallon:( its fun though!

could you try and get a picture of the gouramis please? i love them!

thanks, Dan:D

Hi and welcome, thanks for sharing your story. You will find lots of nice and passionate folks here.

Your tank looks great

Coyotewildfire-- I agree. Our sons are 4 and 6, and we are all enjoying the tank and taking care of it. Not only is it relaxing, but it is interesting and exciting, too. The boys are thrilled whenever fish swim through their decorations. Plus, it's fun to try and solve tank mysteries, ie- why are my plants no longer in the gravel (turned out the gourami were pulling them out and eating the roots). It is a thoroughly rewarding hobby on many levels. I can see why people begin to accumulate multiple tanks.

I completely agree. Haha, my gourami loves plant roots too... Eats them almost incessantly. Nevertheless, best of luck to you and your family! Teaching them well they're young is the best way to set core values for them.

OMGosh! I love the boat!

Welcome to AA!

"My life revolves around food. Feed the kids, feed the hubby, feed the public, feed myself...Then there are the fish. Who's begging is just priceless. Who would say no to the bubble poppers."

I completely agree with you about the food. If I'm not preparing it, I'm cleaning up after it, or I'm at the store buying it.
And, OMG!!! when our fish beg for food, it's just adorable. But, I do resists for their own good. Sometimes it's very hard to do.
But I started thinking about the begging thing....
If anyone else or anything else were to beg like the fish, Not only would we not tolerate it, we'd put a stop to it fast.
What is it that makes the fish begging so cute, and anyone else's so, not.

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome and advice. What a treat to log on to see so many people welcome me-- and with compliments on the tank, too. Thank you.

Tayeloquin-- I showed my son that you liked the boat he picked out, he was very happy and proud.

Another welcome to AA. Your tank looks great and I loved hearing that yours is a family venture. Ours are also, it's a great family hobby, isn't it?.
I wasn't surprised to hear you say your son picked out the ship. My grandson picked out ships for both of the 55g tanks. One is a Pirate Ship, skull and all and the other is a Spanish Galleon. But to be honest, I really like the look of sunken ships in Aquariums

I completely agree... sadly my tank is pretty full up with plants, so I wouldn't be able to put in my sunken ship. Ah well... haha. Maybe later, after my Gudgeons are done using the rock as a breeding ground.

Back
Top Bottom