Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
It all started at a county fair

Over 2 1/2 years ago, my son won a goldfish at a county fair. After buying a 5 gallon set up, the goldfish died, so we got a couple of other fish.

Having had some success (there was failure, too), our family decided to upgrade to a 36 gallon tank. We bought it off Craigs List and it came with most of the water, a couple of fish, gravel, filter, light, etc.

We are loving it. We have had the tank for a little less than 2 months. Had to take 1 of the fish that came with the aquarium to a lfs because it was snacking on my son's neon tetras. But, otherwise, it has been going smoothly. 1 problem I will post in the appropriate forum if I can't solve, but I won't go into it here.

Well, this is what we have:
6 danios (4 glofish, 1 leopard, 1 zebra)
8 neon tetras
2 small angelfish
2 dwarf gourami
4 moons (1 male, 3 female-- 1 of which is young and about the size of a tetra)

Everyone in the family picked out some fish, aquarium decorations, and we chose a couple of plants, plastic and real.

We did our 1st partial water change today. Afterwards we saw a baby fish! It was so tiny, like a splinter with eyes. I had no idea that the moons were prego (been watching for that, but saw no signs). I assume it was a baby moon, but have no idea. I was unable to capture the little fish before it disappeared into the gravel.

Anyway, I've been checking out these forums for helpful advice and info, and I finally decided to join.

Ldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here is a picture of our aquarium. Doing this from my phone, so it might be kinda blurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1220144564.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	33773  

Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Welcome to AA! Be sure to check out the link in my sig on fishless cycling, and be sure to get a test kit. We love pictures, so go nuts!
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey welcome to AA, what a beautiful tank you have there! I love all the decorations!
The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
GoldfishNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OMGosh! I love the boat!

Welcome to AA!
My life revolves around food. Feed the kids, feed the hubby, feed the public, feed myself...then there are the fish. Who's begging is just priceless. Who would tell the bubble poppers no?
Tayeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome! I think you'll find your answers here. Love, love the tank btw. Very nicely done on the interior decoration... Keep up the good work! The aquarium I own has been a real unifying factor for me and my family as well.

And in my opinion, family togetherness is a beautiful thing. Well done!
If I have been helpful, polite, or appreciated in any way, please consider adding to my reputation and a brief description of how I was able to be of service. Thanks! --Coyote
CoyoteWildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
If you ever need help just message me
Have you given Any Thanks lately? If not, do so!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks, all, forthe warm welcome and advice. What a treat to log on to see so many people welcome me-- and with compliments on the tank, too. Thank you.

Tayeloquin-- I showed my son that you liked the boat he picked out, he was very happy and proud.

Coyotewildfire-- I agree. Our sons are 4 and 6, and we are all enjoying the tank and taking care of it. Not only is it relaxing, but it is interesting and exciting, too. The boys are thrilled whenever fish swim through their decorations. Plus, it's fun to try and solve tank mysteries, ie- why are my plants no longer in the gravel (turned out the gourami were pulling them out and eating the roots). It is a thoroughly rewarding hobby on many levels. I can see why people begin to accumulate multiple tanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi, i LOVE the tank! i really want one about this size, but the old folks say no so i'm stuck with a 3 gallon its fun though!

could you try and get a picture of the gouramis please? i love them!

thanks, Dan
Mr.Albiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi and welcome, thanks for sharing your story. You will find lots of nice and passionate folks here.

Your tank looks great

Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com