I've made ALL the mistakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Territoons said:
I am doing a PWC right now on the 25 gallon tank and I was going to test the water as soon as the tank is full again. Probably within the hour. (i tey to add the water slowly) As for Krusty, I was thinking of making a saltwater "dip" in a small container that was a little more concentrated, leave him in it for 5 or 10 minutes, and then put him back in his 1.5 gallon hospital room. Is that a good plan?

I don't like dips... They're too stressful on the fish. Also, since salt helps stop the infection, dipping would be like putting neosporin on a cut, then wiping it off 10 minutes later... It helps a little bit, but doesn't help as much as if you keep it on. When you fill back up, treat the whole tank for ich with the salt, and just fill up krusty's 1.5 gallon with some of the water. Also, don't mix the water in the tank... Mix it in a different bucket before pouring it in.

One tablespoon per 5 gallons... So you do the math lol. I think it's an eighth of a teaspoon lol. It'd be easier just to dose the main tank, and take the water out of there.

Thanks....I have a friend who is a math expert and I will let HIM do the math! Hahah! And I will dose up Krusty's li'l hospital tank right away. I'm about done filling the 25 gallon tank. I'll send you the test results as soon as I figure out how to work the test kit.

I want to do another PWC tomorrow and maybe Sunday.. Whatever it takes to get this blasted medicine color out of the tank. Should I salt the tank up now? Or wait until I am done with the PWC's?

Territoons said:
Thanks....I have a friend who is a math expert and I will let HIM do the math! Hahah! And I will dose up Krusty's li'l hospital tank right away. I'm about done filling the 25 gallon tank. I'll send you the test results as soon as I figure out how to work the test kit.

I want to do another PWC tomorrow and maybe Sunday.. Whatever it takes to get this blasted medicine color out of the tank. Should I salt the tank up now? Or wait until I am done with the PWC's?

Use the last bit of water to mix the salt in. Then wait 15 minutes and test. So how are you going to dose the salt for krusty's QT?

While I have you on the hook (pun intended) :) one of the pet smart people told me that guppies were "turbulent sensitive". I have an under gravel filter, and a fluval U2 filter and an airstone under a rock. My tank IS pretty turbulent. My fish seem happier with all the current...but what do I know?

What do YOU think? I like the bubbles, the kids like the air bubbles, and I swear the fish do, too. Even the snails crawl over the bubbling rock and get caught in the upstream, and then turn around and do it again. I dont know how smart a snail is, but....The fish seemed to get better AFTER I installed the FluVal filter. Am I hurting my fish? All the sick problems came BEFORE the turbulence.

Territoons said:
While I have you on the hook (pun intended) :) one of the pet smart people told me that guppies were "turbulent sensitive". I have an under gravel filter, and a fluval U2 filter and an airstone under a rock. My tank IS pretty turbulent. My fish seem happier with all the current...but what do I know?

What do YOU think? I like the bubbles, the kids like the air bubbles, and I swear the fish do, too. Even the snails crawl over the bubbling rock and get caught in the upstream, and then turn around and do it again. I dont know how smart a snail is, but....The fish seemed to get better AFTER I installed the FluVal filter. Am I hurting my fish? All the sick problems came BEFORE the turbulence.

You're fine lol, the petsmart people don't know squat.

Here are my test results:
PH is 8
Ammonia is .50
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 0

So now what do I do?

(by the way, I have new baby fishies in my tank! When I got enough of the meds cleared out so I could see, I was pleasantly surprised with at least 5 new babies!)

Really, I can't do one right now if I wanted to, as we're leaving. But I will first thing in the morning. The ICH appears to be gone, altho I know it's probably still lurking in the gravel. How about the salt after the water change? I got a hydrometer, but I have no idea how many ppm I'm aiming for with a freshwater tank.

Territoons said:
Really, I can't do one right now if I wanted to, as we're leaving. But I will first thing in the morning. The ICH appears to be gone, altho I know it's probably still lurking in the gravel. How about the salt after the water change? I got a hydrometer, but I have no idea how many ppm I'm aiming for with a freshwater tank.

You're ok. No need to test it. You can if you're interested, but just follow the directions I gave you, and you should be ok. Just do a half dose of salt tomorrow to replace what you took out.

Back
Top Bottom