My trites are HIGH.. Deep magenta/purple test results..either 2 or 5 ppm
depending on who is reading it. My trates are at about 5ppm...and my ammonia is low---@.25
I had great fun today. I made a visual chart for my 3 to 6 year old class, so they could understand the "poisons" NH3
, and the "invisible germs" that eat the poisons. Then I let them read the testing instructions and count the drops as I tested the waters with the API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT. I showed them the color chart, and explained that certain colors meant we had no poison in the tank, and certain colors meant we still had poison in the tank and so we couldn't put the fish in yet.
The first test was ammonia, and we all got excited when the test tube came back almost yellow, indicating very little of that poison! YAAAYYYY!
The second test was NO2
.... and we all counted the five drops and oooohhhhhhhhhhh! What a pretty color PURPLE....but, alas, it is a bittersweet moment when we all realized that PURPLE meant LOTS of NO2
, which meant that we can't move our fish to their new home, yet. Sighhhh....
We are learning Patience.....
But the kids really enjoyed the testing, so when I tested again this afternoon they were ALL excited. But we got the same results.....
I want to video my kids doing the water test, it's really cute, AND impressive, with how much they really DO understand if you just explain it to them correctly. And I will also attach the visual chart I made, when I post the video, in case there are any other teachers out there that might want to use it.