Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #311
Aquarium Advice Activist

Know you are probably stocked.....I am waiting as my tank has to finish cycling then I am not sure I would add 6 -8 fish all at once. I wouldn't actually tho I could keep track of my ammonia, etc and do PWC as needed. I have a 38 gallon tank.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #312
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would think it would be okay to add that many fish at once, IF you have been feeding pure ammonia a couple times a day during your cycling, and your BB's are eating it all up within 12 - 24 hours...but please don't listen to me. I feel far too "young" in this field to be giving advice...

Old 08-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #313
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

But my question is this:

what kind of fish are they? I think they look almost "ethereal"..ghostly even, especially since they kind of "hover", or "tread water" in one place sometimes. Their eyes really are "see through" or orangey....it's not the flash on the camera. One of the LFS guys said he thought they were a "hybrid" and wouldn't breed (not that that was my intent, anyhow)..but what do YOU guys think of them?

I hope they survive the ICH.
They are Longfin Koi Swordtails.
Swordtail = species
Koi = color
Longfin = variety
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #314
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, here it is...my 55tank remodel. And all of my fish survived and seem happy this morning!

It's a good thing that this isn't a photography website, because these photos kind of SUCK. But you get the idea.

I spent hours yesterday with my husbands power tools cutting the manzanita to size (there are two pieces) and hollowing out the insides so the fishes can have some cool places to swim through and hide. I tried to make it so there are different "levels" for the fish, and I tried to make it so the viewer (my kids) can see the fishes swim around in the caves and tunnels.

All the plants are live, and some are looking a little worse for wear. They aren't quite as happy as the fish. But we'll se what comes back and what I'm going to replace.

I think I am going to replace the "photo" background in the tank with black. I think it might show off the fish better.

So...what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5398.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	48510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5403.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	48511  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5410.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	48512  
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #315
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome!! Just when I told you not long ago that the other was beautiful- you outdo yourself!! Wanna come do mine now?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #316
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you! I can't waiit to get some moss and some more java fern and maybe a couple lily pads? More plants. And a couple more bottom feeders (khuli loaches and cories?) and some red shrimp.... And and and....
Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #317
Aquarium Advice Freak

-_-

Sigh..... As much as I like my new tank layout....my manzanita is dying my water yellow. It's not effecting the fish....but it sure is UGLY! Anybody have any idea how long this in going to last? Frequent PWC's is obvious....thank gawd I made my nifty little semi automatic PWC'er....

The challenges never end, do they?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #318
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territoons View Post
-_-

Sigh..... As much as I like my new tank layout....my manzanita is dying my water yellow. It's not effecting the fish....but it sure is UGLY! Anybody have any idea how long this in going to last? Frequent PWC's is obvious....thank gawd I made my nifty little semi automatic PWC'er....

That wood is awesome and the tank looks great! Nice job!

As far as the water turning yellow, it sounds like the wood is leaching those nastly li'l tannins. There's really nothing you can do at this point other than LOTS of pwc's or you could remove the wood, soak it in extremely hot water, (in your bathtub), for a week or so, then place it back in the tank once the water is clear.

Oh, and no, the challenges never end! But that's what keeps this hobby interesting.
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #319
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territoons
-_-

This is one of the few times when Carbon can help. If you dont like the tea colored water, you can run carbon in your filter to help remove it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #320
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. I think 'll put new carbon in AND do lots of PWC's.... although it looks better this morning even before the PWC.

Tags
ich, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com