Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a dwarf puffer a few years back in a 55g community tank. He was a little aggressive, as I recall. Do you have the same problem? Maybe my memory is off a bit... I am curious because I think they're cool and would consider one when I finally start up my tank here in sunny California.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
Welcome to the forum! What are the dimensions of the footprint of the tank? That may be a bit small for gbr, but either of the other species would definitely be ok. Personally, i think the dwarf puffers look awesome and I always hear that they have wonderful personalities.
The footprint is 40cm x 40 cm (approx 16" x 16"), so yeah I was thinking the same thing about it being a little tight. I've been reading a lot of conflicting info as far as that is concerned! The footprint size is also why I am trying to avoid schooling fish -- don't think it would be optimal / fair to them.

As for the dwarf puffer, me too! I think they look awesome -- never had them and would love to. I am just worried about the live only feeding thing, given my busy life, the fact that I live miles from anywhere for supplies, and a husband who would freak if I tried to raise snails or something on the side!

It's all so complicated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togliat View Post
I had a dwarf puffer a few years back in a 55g community tank. He was a little aggressive, as I recall. Do you have the same problem? Maybe my memory is off a bit... I am curious because I think they're cool and would consider one when I finally start up my tank here in sunny California.
I don't have any experience with them (yet! ), but have heard that in a community tank you need to choose the neighbors wisely. I actually do not want a community tank -- I have in my head an idea for a tank with the plants and landscaping taking almost as much importance aesthetically as the fish, and therefore want to concentrate on one species in the interest the sort of visual effect I am trying to create.

As you can see, I have had waaaaay too much time on my hands at the moment to think about this (healing the broken leg / ankle and all)....and I have quite the imagination.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree about "less is more" in the aquarium.
Also, watch out that you don't design a tank that will require more maintenance as your leisure time shrinks once your leg heals!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togliat View Post
I agree about "less is more" in the aquarium.
Also, watch out that you don't design a tank that will require more maintenance as your leisure time shrinks once your leg heals!
Good point. I have to keep reminding myself of this!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com