Joining you from rural France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, started posting here a few days ago and thought I'd introduce myself.

I am an American ex-pat living in France, in the middle of nowhere, on a 100 acre horse farm with the husband. My job is creating software for a real estate advisory company. I have a sweet deal -- I get to work from home most of the time, with occasional trips to Paris, Milan, Madrid. When I am not working, I am riding /competing (show jumping). No kids, just horses and dogs (jack russell terriers!! yay!).

And soon, there will be fish....

I got my first aquarium after taking a summer-school class on the subject when I was 12. I was quite the little guppy breeder back then!

As an adult, I got back into it one day (1999) when I happened upon a pet store going out of business. Walked out of there with a MASSIVE GI-NORMOUS aquarium, really silly size (c'mon, it would be wrong to resist at 60% off!) and kept 4 goldfish rather happy there for many years. Not sure why I picked goldfish at the time, but they ended out being quite the characters.

Moved houses, gave the enormous aquarium to a neighbor kid who I knew would appreciate it. That was 2 years ago.

Just decided to get back into it. Not sure why really, but something to do with the feeling that something was missing from my home office. Broke my leg and my ankle this summer (yes, show-jumping) and had a lot of time to think about it and do research. My how things have changed in aquariums and aquarium design in the last decade!!! Inspired especially by Nature Aquariums ( Nature Aquarium Photographs | AmanoTakashi.net) , I decided to take the plunge...

Purchased the aquarium and most of the basic supplies last week, am waiting for the stand that I ordered to arrive so I can start cycling. And I am currently agonizing over what to put in there, with my top choices (in order of preference)

1) Dwarf puffers
2) German Blue Rams
3) Scarlet Badis

Et voilà, that's me! Glad to meet you! :D

Welcome! Sounds like it is a pretty sweet set up that you have there in France! It sounds like you've done your research and even know cycling! What size is your tank?

Welcome! Sounds like it is a pretty sweet set up that you have there in France! It sounds like you've done your research and even know cycling! What size is your tank?

It's a 64 liter (17 U.S. gallon) cube. Just wish the darn stand would arrive already! :)

All that + Jack Russell terriers? You actually have time for anything else? LOL

Welcome to the forum! What are the dimensions of the footprint of the tank? That may be a bit small for gbr, but either of the other species would definitely be ok. Personally, i think the dwarf puffers look awesome and I always hear that they have wonderful personalities.

I had a dwarf puffer a few years back in a 55g community tank. He was a little aggressive, as I recall. Do you have the same problem? Maybe my memory is off a bit... I am curious because I think they're cool and would consider one when I finally start up my tank here in sunny California.

Welcome to the forum! What are the dimensions of the footprint of the tank? That may be a bit small for gbr, but either of the other species would definitely be ok. Personally, i think the dwarf puffers look awesome and I always hear that they have wonderful personalities.

The footprint is 40cm x 40 cm (approx 16" x 16"), so yeah I was thinking the same thing about it being a little tight. I've been reading a lot of conflicting info as far as that is concerned! The footprint size is also why I am trying to avoid schooling fish -- don't think it would be optimal / fair to them.

As for the dwarf puffer, me too! I think they look awesome -- never had them and would love to. I am just worried about the live only feeding thing, given my busy life, the fact that I live miles from anywhere for supplies, and a husband who would freak if I tried to raise snails or something on the side!

It's all so complicated!!

I had a dwarf puffer a few years back in a 55g community tank. He was a little aggressive, as I recall. Do you have the same problem? Maybe my memory is off a bit... I am curious because I think they're cool and would consider one when I finally start up my tank here in sunny California.

I don't have any experience with them (yet! :) ), but have heard that in a community tank you need to choose the neighbors wisely. I actually do not want a community tank -- I have in my head an idea for a tank with the plants and landscaping taking almost as much importance aesthetically as the fish, and therefore want to concentrate on one species in the interest the sort of visual effect I am trying to create.

As you can see, I have had waaaaay too much time on my hands at the moment to think about this (healing the broken leg / ankle and all)....and I have quite the imagination. :D

I agree about "less is more" in the aquarium.
Also, watch out that you don't design a tank that will require more maintenance as your leisure time shrinks once your leg heals!

I agree about "less is more" in the aquarium.
Also, watch out that you don't design a tank that will require more maintenance as your leisure time shrinks once your leg heals!

Good point. I have to keep reminding myself of this!!

Back
Top Bottom