Jumping in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neosilee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I impulsively bought a 29g tank at a yard sale over the summer and have gotten addicted. It has a whisper 30 on it, and apparently my tap water is perfect for aquariums. I do weekly water changes, maybe 20%, and tests. I have 6 zebra danios, 6 black neon tetras, 3 plagues, and 4 peppered cories. I haven't had any problems with it.

Yesterday I went looking for a cheap ten gallon just as an emergency backup/ quarantine. What I ended up with is a cheap 55 gallon. Oops. But I got the tank, stand, and most of the stuff underneath for $60, so I had to do it. :)

Now to figure out what to do with that. I'll be looking for ideas in the forums. I have fallen completely in love with my corydoras, and kind of want to base the tank on a few different species.

IMG_1478911363.235066.jpg
IMG_1478912045.369439.jpg

I have a 55 gallon too. I love my corys i have five aneus ones (5 bronze, 1 albino). I keep them with kuhli loaches. if you have never heard or seen of kuhli loaches before they are definitely worth a google.

A cory-centered tank would be great. One word of advice: use sand or fine gravel for the substrate. They like to root around, and rough gravel can damage their barbels.

And post pictures when you get it set up! :popcorn:

I did google kuhli loaches and they are definitely an option :)

I do want to set this tank up with sand. I like the look of it better, and I had heard that it's better for the cories. My smaller tank is gravel that doesn't seem very fine, but they seem to be doing ok on it. I would like to switch that one over to sand as well, I think.

Will definitely post pics :)

Went looking for a 10g but came back with the 55g... Love it! Great deal, too.
The catfish/ kuhlii theme sounds fun.
That stand for the 55g makes me nervous though. Looks like it relies on nails or screws to bear the weight of the frame under the tank. At a minimum, the addition of 1x4s (maybe 2x4s) parallel with the existing ones and between the rectangles that hold the tank(s) would help. If it were me, I would slap on sides and a front with doors. But securing the stand would be my first priority.

I questioned the stand, too. It is obviously homemade, but it is incredibly sturdy. It's held together by bolts that are bigger than my thumb. I am still planning on putting at least boards across the back, like you said. I'm handy enough for that, and I live on a horse farm, so 2x4s are everywhere. Making doors might be beyond my abilities.

Yeah I should have mentioned the sand.....kuhlis are soft bodied fish and the barbels on corys needs soft substrate. There are actually a couple of varieties of kuhlis...I have just the normal black ones. Also if when stocking the tank for them AqAdvisor is a little off. The black kuhlis and the yellow banded ones are max approx four inches long but their bioload is a pretty small. somewhere I read that four loaches equate to a four inch long fish. The more kuhlis you have the more active and brave they are. I had four for the longest and I had two that would always do the "kuhli happy dance" on the side of my tank for hours! I have since added three more and they seem to be braver when going out in the daytime.

One thing I do recommend is live plants though. speaking from experience...there is NO comparison to the fake ones, clearly superior. They absorb nitrates and stuff....and they seem to move more naturally. My kuhlis even coil around them like little snakes. Also if you get kuhli loaches look up videos of them....it's insane the amount of energy and speed these little guys have. Also be prepared for them to basically be invisible for a little while because they are shy/nocturnal.

I use black sand as a substrate in my (national geographic brand) 55 gallon and I think it creates a unique look. It makes the color in my plants and fish pop more than i think having the typical white sand does (in my opinion).

You don't have to make doors. Take them off an old cabinet or vanity.
2x4s between the "trays" at the legs and back will take the weight off of the hardware.

I have reinforced the stand. Don't have doors though. Now to figure out what I want to put in it. I'm not up for trying live plants yet, I have a horrible black thumb. But I bought a book, I will research :)

You don't have to make doors. Take them off an old cabinet or vanity.
Lots of info on this site regarding live plants. Though I enjoy planted tanks, well placed rocks and driftwood can make a nice looking tank.

I have decided I'm going to go buy a stand. My entire house is carpet, and I'd be more comfortable with a flat bottom to spread the weight out a bit. The old stand will make a nice bookcase. :)

I have got sand for both tanks. I switched the 29g and I love how it looks. And the cories are having fun with it. I will get pics once the tank completely clears, still a little cloudy.

That's great! I can unclench now :)
You get a stand that is built for the job (probably nicer looking) and get to reuse the old one.
Good choice with the sand.

Ok. New stand is built, tank is up. It came with two hob filters, but both had issues. So I decided to try a canister filter. (Petsmart Black Friday sale, 50% off[emoji16]) just got that set up. I had no idea they were so quiet!

Got some driftwood in there today, still need some plants. Also got day/night led hoods. I love it.

Once the sand settles and water clears, I'll get a pic. Now I still have to decide what I want to put in there. Definitely gonna put some kuhlis with my cories :)

Back
Top Bottom