Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi, I'm fairly new myself. I have had so much helpful advise from Coursiar and Emerald, I've never personal gotten advice from the other, but anyway they are all right. Trust me when I say follow what they are advising you will save yourself a ton of time, energy,frustration , and money, you will most likely save some fish as well. If the store won't take them back try an independently owned store most will give you a credit. If you can't do that rehome them as suggested if it's free or less than you paid you still got something good. You saved the fish and learned a valuable lesson sooner than later. IME I also agree most are just looking for the sale, not yours or the fish best interest. This site is great and helpful also google information. I know it's hard but look see what you like, go home do serious research then if you have room make your purchase. It's easy to buy spurr of the moment, don't most times ( being new) you'll wish you researched the fish first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jumping into the deep end

I bought a fish from pet...art, it didn't work, took it back and they took it, saying they would put it in QT. As soon as they went into the back, I heard water being poured into a sink or something and then something flushed- they came back with my bag and gave it back. Um, acclimation much or just instant death?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
I bought a fish from pet...art, it didn't work, took it back and they took it, saying they would put it in QT. As soon as they went into the back, I heard water being poured into a sink or something and then something flushed- they came back with my bag and gave it back. Um, acclimation much or just instant death?

Very sad. I think that's why I've stopped buying fish there (or anywhere). I still get shrimp and plants, but those are from the generous folks on this forum.
Lots of good info and discussions here. Some get heated. That's when I break out the ::
I like to use the Search function to find threads that mention a partcular keyword. Also Google.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm curious if your not getting fish from lfs where do you buy? I imagine ordering online would be costly with shipping fees. Not to mention what if they die 2 hours later? I have only seen DOA guarantee.

Amy
Old 10-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Live aquaria is great, they offer a 14 day guarantee, the cost of shipping does suck though but there selection usually makes up for it IMO.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you, I'll have to check the site out. Lfs are more and more frightening every time I go. Guess the more I learn the more things seem off.

Amy
Old 10-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
I'm curious if your not getting fish from lfs where do you buy? I imagine ordering online would be costly with shipping fees. Not to mention what if they die 2 hours later? I have only seen DOA guarantee.

I am currently on a hiatus. When I do get them, I'll probably order them through my LFS. I just need to get my QT setup.

Too often I see a post that says "I just got new fish" followed by "I think my fish are sick". Been there and done that.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post

Too often I see a post that says "I just got new fish" followed by "I think my fish are sick". Been there and done that.

Hahaha this reminds me of fishing. People always ask me how the fishing has been, citing all the pictures in the paper of people with fish. My standard response - you know what you don't see pictures of? All the people who didn't catch anything

I think it's the same here - people don't complain about the healthy fish they buy, so it can seem like there's a disproportional amount of sick fish. Too, a large number of those fish got sick because of the conditions in the keepers tank.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I love the way you have that little tank set up. The decor is awesome!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So true about I got fish, my new fish are sick, I bought a pregnant fish thought it was a male. I got the nerite snail on Friday it was dead.

Amy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com