I hail from Nova Scotia, Canada, my ex-gf inadvertently got me into fish
I gave up my cats to move with her because she was really allergic (I think I made a mistake considering we are now broken up). After we lived in Fredericton for a while, I decided I had to get some kind of pet, and since I couldn't get a cat obviously, I thought about a Betta as they are easy to care for etc. Well, turns out I couldn't even afford the kit at that time, so I was pretty bummed, and I came nhome from work and she had bought me the betta that I had showed her. His name is Mushu, he survived a pretty brutal trip to Wolfville from Fredericton and then from W-Ville to Halifax.
I always felt bad about having in a little 2 litre tank but didn't have the money to upgrade. My friend John down here had an old 10gal that he gave me so now I am right into the fish... I figure that it's pretty hard to be allergic to looking at fish so I won't have to give these guys up. Mushu is awesome because he comes up and greets me when I go to the tank and he eats grubs off of my fingers. He also is prety smart. I put an Otto in my tank the other day and I was pretty wary about Mush being aggressive, sure enough after a half hour or so, Mushu went up to the Otto and I caught him nipping at tail fin, so I said rather sternly Hey! You stop that! and Mushu looked right at me and then swam away, didn't pay any attention to the Otto after that.
Mush isn't very aggressive though, I think he was just curious to see what this little thing was in his tank. He has little bursts when something aggravates him (apparantly the white & red nob on my heater triggered something because when I submerged it horizontally, Mushu went crazy, started chasing the minnows all over the place, it was actually kind of funny, but I couldn't figure out why he was acting up until I saw him stare the nob down, and then it was hilarious. So, just to keep his ego from deflating, I put the heater back in vertically with the nob just sticking out of the water and within five minutes he was normal again. LOL
I have some crappy pics of my aquarium here:
The tall plants u see have since died, they were given to me by my mom who was cutting them back in her aquarium.. They didn't fare too well, so all I have left is one tiny litle piece that hasn't been consumed by algae yet. I also have some other plant that she gave me, all the old growth died and I have removed it but it is starting to get all kinds of little shoots.. I just wish I knew what kind of plant it was
I also have added more white clouds so there is a little more life.
HeHe, sorry for the ramble... in short, I got pretty hooked by the whole deal and will be getting a bigger tank to add to my collection when I can afford it, for now I will just experiment with this little tank and see what coolness I can create