Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to SHortyGeorge Send a message via AIM to SHortyGeorge Send a message via MSN to SHortyGeorge
just another N00B

Hey all!

I hail from Nova Scotia, Canada, my ex-gf inadvertently got me into fish

I gave up my cats to move with her because she was really allergic (I think I made a mistake considering we are now broken up). After we lived in Fredericton for a while, I decided I had to get some kind of pet, and since I couldn't get a cat obviously, I thought about a Betta as they are easy to care for etc. Well, turns out I couldn't even afford the kit at that time, so I was pretty bummed, and I came nhome from work and she had bought me the betta that I had showed her. His name is Mushu, he survived a pretty brutal trip to Wolfville from Fredericton and then from W-Ville to Halifax.

I always felt bad about having in a little 2 litre tank but didn't have the money to upgrade. My friend John down here had an old 10gal that he gave me so now I am right into the fish... I figure that it's pretty hard to be allergic to looking at fish so I won't have to give these guys up. Mushu is awesome because he comes up and greets me when I go to the tank and he eats grubs off of my fingers. He also is prety smart. I put an Otto in my tank the other day and I was pretty wary about Mush being aggressive, sure enough after a half hour or so, Mushu went up to the Otto and I caught him nipping at tail fin, so I said rather sternly Hey! You stop that! and Mushu looked right at me and then swam away, didn't pay any attention to the Otto after that.
Mush isn't very aggressive though, I think he was just curious to see what this little thing was in his tank. He has little bursts when something aggravates him (apparantly the white & red nob on my heater triggered something because when I submerged it horizontally, Mushu went crazy, started chasing the minnows all over the place, it was actually kind of funny, but I couldn't figure out why he was acting up until I saw him stare the nob down, and then it was hilarious. So, just to keep his ego from deflating, I put the heater back in vertically with the nob just sticking out of the water and within five minutes he was normal again. LOL)

I have some crappy pics of my aquarium here:
http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...=/250b&.src=ph

The tall plants u see have since died, they were given to me by my mom who was cutting them back in her aquarium.. They didn't fare too well, so all I have left is one tiny litle piece that hasn't been consumed by algae yet. I also have some other plant that she gave me, all the old growth died and I have removed it but it is starting to get all kinds of little shoots.. I just wish I knew what kind of plant it was
I also have added more white clouds so there is a little more life.

HeHe, sorry for the ramble... in short, I got pretty hooked by the whole deal and will be getting a bigger tank to add to my collection when I can afford it, for now I will just experiment with this little tank and see what coolness I can create

Old 07-05-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

[center:1e6437725f] Welcome to AA, SHortyGeorge!! [/center:1e6437725f]
That's too bad about your cats. Luckily my fiance and I have many animals, despite my allergies! My cat, Spice, is currently sitting in my lap making it very hard to type
Do you have a heater for your betta?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:47 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Welcome!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Welcome to AA ShortyGeorge!!!

Sounds like Mushu is a pretty cool Betta. I have one, that I have since put into my 55 gallon tank, but that used to be in a 5.5 gallon tank. I could feed him from my hand! I got hooked then. I'm eyeing the little red betta at Walmart that's been there for some time and nobody wants :|

Perhaps, It's time to be fish-saver!

Good luck with your fish proceedings, and have fun!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:01 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

SHortyGeorge....

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! Glad to have you with us!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:53 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Welcome and enjoy. Fish are about as hypoalergenic as you can get. Unless your alergic to water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Welcome to our site!

Old 07-05-2004, 06:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to SHortyGeorge Send a message via AIM to SHortyGeorge Send a message via MSN to SHortyGeorge
I feel all warm inside thanks guys!

Menagerie: I do have a heater for him... it drove him crazy when I submerged it completely I finally figured out where 78 is on the dial and that is the temp that I keep it at.

fishfreek: U know... I think water might have been the one thing she wasn't allergic to LOL

I feel so bad for Wal-Mart fish the poor little buggers, I would buy them all if Wal-Mart would stop selling them. I have thought about getting another betta, they are the bomb.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Welcome to A.A.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com