Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH_r_FRIENDS
The ballon Molly died when i came back from work this evening .. So sad and that was even after the change of 50% water, just done another change and kept samples of each change to bring to the guy tomorrow, see what he says hopefully ask for some of the good bacteria in their tanks to help mine... On that subject I noticed that my filter is apparently only designed for tanks up to 10lt.. I should really have something bigger for my tank right? Or does it matter? Could that possibly help with my problems, about the good bateria breaking down the waste? My tank is the aqua one panoramic tank 60x25x25 that works out to hold about 37 lts ... Right? If i took away the stones at the bottom i think i have about 26? is this a stupd question but i have to ask, do you all fill the water to pretty much the top of the tank or do you leave a gap at the top and work out from that and not total volume? Gonna go get the test kits too, whats a good one? I heard the sticks are rubbish and the water samplers are better?
You have to measure the glass on the inside to get an exact gallon measurement(according to what I've read) yes a bigger filter would probably help a lot some people even suggest going up so the filter could handle even more water.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok ur filter need to be able to clean ur tank at least 2 times an hour 3 times is much better the fish died from an ammonia spike should of left ur tank for longer befor adding fish i didnt have time to cycle

stay away from snails if you over feed they will multiply to fast to control

if you need more advice feel free to pm me

Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cheers all, just went to the shop got my water tested from the last two changes and current- looks much better the two N's are at 0 and the ammonia was at the yellowy green so not so bad now, the guy told me that my filter should be fine but I'm not so sure not gonna get any fish now for about a week or so just to give my tank time to build up bacteria - plus he said he would give me two fish for free for my loss I also asked for some of their tank water so I can get a boost on my bacteria- so this is where the fun begins lol
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would still recomend a bigger filter if its only able to cycle ur tank once ever 2 hours you could end up with a massive alge out break or mass nitrate readings
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #15

Thanks lamby.. I will bring that up next time with the shop
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #16

Hi people so I'm guesssing my female guppy is pregnant just wanted some advice on what I should do and if I should have more plants in the tank, does that give her privacy to have the babies? And from the pic how far along is she? Due date? What hold I have in place I have a male guppy and two neon blue tetras? Will they et hr babies?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-113513316.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	137818  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

The male will definitely eat the babies not sure if neons are big enough (possibly) she needs a breeder net of you are wanting to ensure you will have some babies. I used small plant decor with the leaves as close together as you can get them zip tied to the bottom of the frame of the net the babies will also hide between the frame and net which helps save them. More plants in tank is second option they will also hide in the rocks.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #18

I've got 2babies !! I was changing the water and I noticed something in the corner if my eye, are you sure he will eat them they are pretty biggish ? Gonna go by the ousting net thing ang keep the mum in there too right just I case she has more?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I personally am used to platy and Molly. My motto with them is if you can see their color good and the edge of there tail without straining they are big enough, with guppies I would imagine it would be the width of their tails and good color. If will fit in their mouth they can eat them.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My guppies didn't eat their fry. I once had a male guppy defend them from zebra danios. It was just luck I guess, and keeping them well fed.

Tags
fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com