Just curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike B.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm not quite sure what to expect from the forum. I'm hoping to get advice mainly. Haven't decided if a salt water tank would be worth the work and I'm not very familiar with filters. I once owned (many years ago) a 20 gal fresh water tank with an under gravel filter. Seemed to work good, but a real pain when it came time to clean. Also is acrylic better than glass?

As you guys can tell I'm still in the research and question stage.

Anyways...thanks for any input.

Once ur SW is established its not much more work then any FW tank just the initial setup will be a bit more costly

Oh ya and for tank material its all on preference acrylic is clearer and lighter but also scratches easier and yellows over time..faster if in direct Sunlight

Where would a guy find an aquarium kit. You know.....everything needed.

Who are some of the most reputable dealers? I'm just like 99% of the American population...willing to pay a fair price, but don't wanna get ripped off.

Where would a guy find an aquarium kit. You know.....everything needed.

Who are some of the most reputable dealers? I'm just like 99% of the American population...willing to pay a fair price, but don't wanna get ripped off.
Well, you will usually get the best set-up by buying parts individually. Personally, I have both put together tanks and bought kits from PetCo. Both have served me well so far. Its a good idea to look at the brands and parts that come in any given kit and then research them online a bit to see what other people say who own them. :)

Hey there

I prefer glass over acrylic. Both are good though. Before anything, I think you should decide what kind of fish you want to have in your tank and if you want corals/plants or not. That will really determine the tank size and equipment.

What size are you looking for? I usually tell people to decide on the type of fish you want first if you want tang you need a large long tank maybe a 125 if you just want a clown and maybe one or two other fish go with a smaller tank maybe a 28. For a first tank AIO is a good idea maybe a cube or a red sea max. You will probably upgrade a few things but it is a good jumping off point for a smaller tank.

There is plenty of great advice on here on what you will need to start a pieced together tank.

I like glass over acrylic because the way I clean tank isn't the most gentle.

Two items you will want is a refractometer and a good liquid test kit

Back
Top Bottom