Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I love the brite colors as well as the active little guys. The only problem is we don't have alot of options when it comes to pet shops in this area. Unless I travel down to St. Louis Mo. "That is a option I guess." I read in some of the forums were there are breeders out there?? What to do???????????

jheibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

There are breeders, finding them is the trick. Boards like this help for sure. And mom and pop fish stores are great for finding everything you need as well as some information about what you need to get started.

Some will sell you an entire "kit" but DO post questions and double check things the LFS tells you because they are not always "right" or sometimes giving you only part of the info. Big chains (in my experience) often have people with very limited knowledge who don't know and sometimes make up the info if they need to or unwittingly give you wrong info.

I have learned far more here in the last year than I ever have reading books or talking to the folks at the fish stores.

I love the freshwater fish (although there are few things more beautiful than a SW tank) FW fish are a lot easier to find most of the time because they aren't as expensive to get started.

For ballpark figures of startup costs it is hard....I can tell you I just set up a 90 gallon FW fully planted tank and it cost me the following:

$250 tank
$250 stand with canopy
$150 Filter
$15 heater
$150 Lighting
$300 CO2 injection system
$100 plants
$80 substrates
$40 acrylic (for my terrace)

And that does not count any fish yet (most of them transferred over from my 55)

High tech planted is about as expensive as FW gets and if you are not going planted you can knock off about $500 (for this particular set up, plants can be done cheaper with a low tech setup)

here is a link to the page I built about setting it up:
Welcome to my planted tank page

happygirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the info and the link! My girls & I will go FW. The living plants are of real interest to me. I had no idea of the capabilities of a FW tank. And the fact I do have three children and a stay home MOM/WIFE. The less expensive the more creative my girls and I can be.
Thanks again for the info!!!!!!!

jheibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You are very welcome! The plants allow you to be VERY creative. There are so many possibilities. Definitely check out the planted tank section here, it is awesome.

So when you buy your tank, make sure they know it will be planted so they don't sell you an undergravel filter and the stock light, you will want higher light and a canister filter.

I myself am a stay at home mom/wife (with three kids coincidentally...lol) so if she and the girls are really into it they might find it very rewarding indeed! I know I did.

My kids LOVE the tanks. My oldest loves the "chemistry" aspect of testing the water etc, and the little ones love watching and feeding the fishies.

I find it very rewarding.

happygirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com