Just getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evan-in-Oz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all my Name is Evan and I am from Australia.
I have recently set up a 50g Tank that is currently Cycling (Fishless)
I cant wait until I can finally add a few fish :fish2:

Welcome! Great job learning about the cycling process many beginners don't know about it :D

Caleb

Thanks for the welcome :)
As for fish, I'm thinking of adding some corys, tetras and danios to start a happy little community tank. Any other suggestions are most welcome :thanks:

I did some testing today and the cycle seems to be ticking along quite nicely
Ph 7.5 Kh 5 Gh 12 Ammonium 2ppm Nitrite 3ppm Nitrate between 20-40ppm :)

Hi all, I think My cycle may be almost complete. Today's testing showed 0.5ppm Ammonia 0 Nitrites and about 80ppm Nitrates. My only concern is that my ph is sitting on 8 which seems a little high for the fish I was hoping to stock in the tank. :ermm::confused:

Hi all, I think My cycle may be almost complete. Today's testing showed 0.5ppm Ammonia 0 Nitrites and about 80ppm Nitrates. My only concern is that my ph is sitting on 8 which seems a little high for the fish I was hoping to stock in the tank. :ermm::confused:

Your pH is okay they will adjust.

Caleb

Update

Hi all.
Well my tanks fishless cycle has completed & now been stocked with fish and has been running nicely for about 2 weeks now.
Current stock is :
10 Neon Tetras
2 Black widow Tetras
4 Female Bettas
4 Albino Corys
6 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Yoyo (Pakistani) Loach
(I will be getting atleast 2 more loaches in a couple of weeks)

All fish seem happy and I have noticed no bullying or other aggressive behaviour.
I have a batch of brine shrimp growing out in a smaller tank for live feeds Plus a selection of quality commercial foods such as betta floating pellets, Sinking Algae wafers, freeze dried bloodworms and Tropical fish flakes.
:fish2::fish2::fish2:

That's awesome!

I also just found out about cycling :D

WE DEMAND PICTURES OF THE STARS :D:D:D:D:D

Welcome among us and have fun :D

Thank you Alvean for the very kind comments :)
I have been unable to source any live plants where I live so went with the Fake ones for now.
I have an old piece of coral and a few shells in there as a Ph Buffer
Quartz Specimens with real Australian Gold impregnated and Red Jasper rock for Decorative purpose.
My only drawback is that I wish I had of added some softer sandy type substrate for the cory cats to dig in.
But I am considering adding some at a later date?
Once again Any Ideas are most welcome Everyone :cool::thanks:

Thank you Alvean for the very kind comments :)

I have been unable to source any live plants where I live so went with the Fake ones for now.

I have an old piece of coral and a few shells in there as a Ph Buffer

Quartz Specimens with real Australian Gold impregnated and Red Jasper rock for Decorative purpose.

My only drawback is that I wish I had of added some softer sandy type substrate for the cory cats to dig in.

But I am considering adding some at a later date?

Once again Any Ideas are most welcome Everyone :cool::thanks:

Don't mix substrates. From someone who has done it, you will regret it when gravity sets in and the sand ends up on the bottom.

Caleb

New to site

Just a quick hello my name is Jerry from Texas I have a good number of chiiids that I've been enjoying but ready to step up and really learn what is rite and wrong with my tanks looking forward to talking to all.

Back
Top Bottom