Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just got a molly but it is pregnant! Help!

Hello everyone! Im violet and i just bought this black balloon molly fish but shes pregnant!! I am not ready for this and its 4am. I just so far put her in a seprate tank than all the others. I am clueless help!!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA but anyways I would get a breeders net. She hues live birth and will try to eat her kids so watch out! Not as much as others but she will try. I don't know maybe put her in different tank or something.

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #3

I did put her in a seperate tank i just dont know what to do from here.. Do i just wait till the babies are here and then take her back to her original tank or what? Im so confused
Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet92
I did put her in a seperate tank i just dont know what to do from here.. Do i just wait till the babies are here and then take her back to her original tank or what? Im so confused
I would also add some hiding spots to your tank so she doesn't eat the fry. She will usually have a batch every 3-4 weeks maybe 3-4 times I would put her back in if you want to but when it gets close time then take her out. What size tank is she in right now?
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum.

I keep my livebearers in the main tank, I don't separate them out to give birth. If the fry survive, great, if they don't, I don't lose sleep over it. I didn't get into fishkeeping to be a baby momma.

If you really want to raise each and every fry, then you would need to set up a separate grow-out tank. If you don't want to get involved in all that, or it's too soon in the game for you to do so, then just relax and let nature take its course.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

@lynda did some of the fry live? In the main tank i have 1molly 1sucker fish and 1crab and then the one other pregnant molly.. I have them in a 10gallon tank with lots of room and hiding space..
Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

I would also add some hiding spots to your tank so she doesn't eat the fry. She will usually have a batch every 3-4 weeks maybe 3-4 times I would put her back in if you want to but when it gets close time then take her out. What size tank is she in right now?
There in a 10gallon tank right now but i took the mama out and put her in a tank thats half the size of a 10gallon tank because thats all i have
Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of crab do you have? Fiddler?
Also is this sucker fish a pleco?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet92 View Post
@lynda did some of the fry live? In the main tank i have 1molly 1sucker fish and 1crab and then the one other pregnant molly.. I have them in a 10gallon tank with lots of room and hiding space..
I'm concerned about your stock. Please respond to the questions in the above post.

Yes, the fry lived. Fry are very resiliant and have a very high sense of self-preservation. They hid in the java moss until they knew the adults wouldn't eat them.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #10

Yes the sucker fish is exactly a plecostomus and its a red claw crab.

Tags
molly, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com