Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope, it applies to all mollies... I don't usually trust chain stores and more often than not their info is wrong. While sometimes they may be right, it's always good to go online and get a second opinion.

Here's a link: Tropical Fish for Freshwater & Brackish Aquariums: Dalmatian Molly Livebearers

Liveaquaria is a great site to find out tank requirements for fish and their needs, max sizes, etc. if you ever want to look up specific fish.

Glad I could help!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What should I do about the Dalmatian Molly then I don't have the money for a bigger tank.

That's really disappointing I really wanted a fuller tank.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #13

But I do really appreciate the help
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can still create a full tank! If I were you, I'd re-home all 3 mollies and instead come up with a new stocking plan. There's lots of nano fish available out there, and whereas they are harder to come by, they are just as exciting.

Here's a link with a bunch of fish that would work great in your tank:

Nano-Fish

I'd go with a small shoal of one of the types of cories on there (maybe 4 or 5) and then a school of one of the types of rasboras (maybe 5 or 6).

Or if you wanted, you could do a betta and then add a school of any of those listed on the page (5 or 6 in a school), or even neon tetras, which are super common and much easier to come by than some of those species.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #15

Okay thanks for all the help, wish I would have got on this site before I got fish but that's how things go. Everyone makes a mistake at some point
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad I could help!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #17

Bring the mollies back to the pet store. The bare minimum for them is 20 gallons. 10 is way too small. I've heard stories of mollies becoming frighteningly aggressive in 10 gallons. A good alternate is platies. They look a lot like mollies, are also livebearers, and can live fine in a 10 gallon. If you get 2-3 platies, you'd be fully stocked.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize you were already told this. I should've read the entire thread. Platies would still be a good option.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #18

Not gonna lie I'm pretty annoyed with the pet store.. But nothing I can do about it now, hate to see the mollies go they are really kool. But I was close to choosing platys anyways.

I also have an aquatic dwarf frog too and tips or things I should know about them?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fish in the second picture looks like a platy to me. Anyone else? An is this petsmart a big chain sorrow like petsmart or petco? I almost never do my shopping there because they are there for 1 purpose- to make money. Whereas local fish stores that are locally owned and single shop, they generally care more about the tanks, give sound advice, have better stock and much much more variety, and also Better employes. I'd also take all of the mollies back. IMO you are overstocked already. If you want a full tank I think 4 small Cory's and 6 small schoolers is the way to o
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #20

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

I did actually get my fish from a Petco :/ didn't realize they were that unreliable.. Gonna look for a local fish store and try again.

Ill try my luck with schooling fish and see how it goes! Thanks again everyone. If you have any other advice id love to hear it.

Once again if anyone knows much about aquatic frogs please let me know

Tags
tan, ten gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com