Just got my first ten gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the frog is fine. I've heard they tend to get out competed for food if keept with more aggressive species but if you stick to small schooling fish it should be ok. A few of the schoolers are-
Harqualin rasbora
Neon tetras
Galaxy rasbora
Ember tetra
Misqueto fish
Pygmy rasbora
I'm sure there's a ton more, just the ones I know of

A quick google search will show you how to ID whether male or female. Here's a snippet I took from a random answer site:

"Look at the underside of the fish. About two-thirds of the way along its body (towards the tail) will be two small fins called the pectoral fins. Slightly behind them is the anal opening, and behind that is another fin. When the fish relaxes and hangs in the water it can be sexed by means of that fin. If the fish is female, when she is relaxed, the fin will hang down in a triangle with the point down-most. All females have this fanned fin, but when it is tucked up it can look quite like a male's.
The male's fin is straight, fairly long and points directly backwards. This modified anal fin is called a gonopodium."

From what I saw in the pics, it LOOKS like your dalmatian is male, but that's only a snippet. If you can't figure it out I'd suggest starting a new thread with a few pics of each and ask the experts on here. Good luck!

It seems disappointing at first when you realize you can't have as many fish as you wanted, but you'll become more attached to those you do have and you'll take care of them even more!

P.S. I realize most this advice had been passed on already, but it never hurts to have more opinions.

I agree with rehoming the mollies, get 5-6 corys (I love peppered..it'll remind you of dalmatian molly a bit!) and some nano fish. Plenty of activity and fun to watch fish.

Last edited:
Thanks again to everyone :)

I ended up taking the mollies back and got a school of rasboras and I'm planing in getting a small school if tetra's too.

I'm sure I will get used to the new look :)

Little worried about the frog still, the other fish seem to eat the frog food before the frog can get to it, yet I've had the frog for about a month and it's doing fine so it must be eating something I suppose haha.

If you already have a school, don't get more schoolers. They won't have enough room to swim. You can get cories too, and a betta.

If you got harlequin rasboras, you won't be dissapointed! They're wonderful fish.

Your talking about Cory catfish right? I'm worried if I got Cory's they will not get along with the frog well, what do you think?

Glad it was helpful for you :) there is deff a lot to learn about fish keeping.

Frogs are fun to watch and all. But the problem is they are mostly blind. So when you try to feed them (frozen bloodworms is the best food they take, at least that I have tried) you have to make sure the food is like a centimeter from their nose because they will not find it other wise. Many people use a turkey baster. Also they tend to randomly float and look dead--its just how they relax. Not to worry.

I think the cories and frog will have no problems getting along. If you do get cories, I would go with one of the dwarf species. IMO, a 10 gallon doesn't provide enough floor space for a proper shoal of regular species. Maybe panda cories, since they tend to stay smaller, but not the 'normal' ones. Each species is a little different though so I'm not entirely sure, just be sure to see how big the species you want gets. I wouldn't do any species that gets over 2 inches.

ADFs can smell food and will eventually find it as long as no fish eat it first. I know that people will net the frogs into breeder boxes and feed them in there.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!!

It has really been a great help for me, and I feel like this would be really great info for anyone starting a ten gallon tank.

Frog information is much appreciated too :)

ADFs can smell food and will eventually find it as long as no fish eat it first. I know that people will net the frogs into breeder boxes and feed them in there.

Not from my experience. I've had a lot of them. If its not right in front of them they just do their own little thing. Next time I own one I'm buying the turkey baster and doing that idea. Not kidding they are tricky and I've NEVER seen them eat leftovers that were more than an hour old. Even 20 mins old.

Back
Top Bottom