Just joined and can't wait to be a part of a great aquatic community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark_Bait

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, it's great to be a part of so many knowledgable aquarium owners. I have always wanted a tank and finally was able to track down a free 55 gal tank w/ all necessary equipment. I have already come in contact with Ick which wiped out over half of my little friends. Wish i knew about this site sooner. Since then i bought a 10 gal hospital tank in case of emergencies. I have it running constantly so it is ready at a moments notice. The fish i have left are 2 dwarf Gouramis, 2 Neon blue dwarf Gouramis, 1 swordtail, 1 Guppy, 1 Upside down catfish. I had a bunch of other but the didn't make it, may they rest in peace. Lol. I actually got very upset when my fish started dying. Not from a money standpoint but because i actually care about the well being of them. Hope that doesn't sound dumb or strange. Well I look forward to getting advice as well as helping others avoid mistakes i have made. Please any comments, questions, or advice for me from what you know shoot!! I'd like to talk to some people and make some connections. Thanks everyone!

Shark_Bait said:
Hello everyone, it's great to be a part of so many knowledgable aquarium owners. I have always wanted a tank and finally was able to track down a free 55 gal tank w/ all necessary equipment. I have already come in contact with Ick which wiped out over half of my little friends. Wish i knew about this site sooner. Since then i bought a 10 gal hospital tank in case of emergencies. I have it running constantly so it is ready at a moments notice. The fish i have left are 2 dwarf Gouramis, 2 Neon blue dwarf Gouramis, 1 swordtail, 1 Guppy, 1 Upside down catfish. I had a bunch of other but the didn't make it, may they rest in peace. Lol. I actually got very upset when my fish started dying. Not from a money standpoint but because i actually care about the well being of them. Hope that doesn't sound dumb or strange. Well I look forward to getting advice as well as helping others avoid mistakes i have made. Please any comments, questions, or advice for me from what you know shoot!! I'd like to talk to some people and make some connections. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the site :). With the caring personality and commitment you've shown simply by joining this site...you'll have many years of successful fish keeping ahead of you. Don't ever hesitate to ask any questions...the good people here will be happy to help you with any issue you come across.

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Having a QT prepared is always a great idea, but you've got to make sure it is prepared to handle the waste of the fish when they are added. This can be taken care of by having extra media in your main tank at all times that you can transfer to the hospital tank when needed, or you can add a pure ammonia source to the QT to keep it cycled at all times.

How long has your current tank been up and running? Do you have a good quality test kit like an API Master kit? If so, do you know your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels? :)

Welcome to the family. I hope all the fish lives long and be happy with their owner. Some people here will make videos of their tanks and problems the encounter on YouTube and that helps people looking at things what your trying to show. Sometime pictures can't really tell the story where video does.

Anyway all the best with your little friends.

Great questions and i appreciate your concern. The hospital tank has only been up for 2 days. No additives have been made. As far as getting it suitable for a transfer, could i add water from my main tank that i took from a water change? My 55 Gal has been up for about 5 weeks now. I am picking up a master kit tomorrow for levels, lately i have been bringing water to petsmart every other day for testing. My water always tests a little hard and the ph is very very very slightly high but they said not something to worry about. I bought 2 pieces of drift wood with a small fern growing as a natural water softener. my last levels measured Nitrite- 0, Nitrate 20mg/L, pH- 8.2 Alkalinity- 180mg/L Hardness- 300mg/L

Shark_Bait said:
Great questions and i appreciate your concern. The hospital tank has only been up for 2 days. No additives have been made. As far as getting it suitable for a transfer, could i add water from my main tank that i took from a water change? My 55 Gal has been up for about 5 weeks now. I am picking up a master kit tomorrow for levels, lately i have been bringing water to petsmart every other day for testing. My water always tests a little hard and the ph is very very very slightly high but they said not something to worry about. I bought 2 pieces of drift wood with a small fern growing as a natural water softener. my last levels measured Nitrite- 0, Nitrate 20mg/L, pH- 8.2 Alkalinity- 180mg/L Hardness- 300mg/L

Honestly, the pH, alkalinity and hardness are nothing to even concern yourself with unless you plan on keeping very sensitive fish like Discus. Virtually all fish can adjust, and they all prefer stable pH and hardness rather than what is considered "ideal" for their species. The ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes are the only thing that are necessary to keep a constant eye on IMO. Your other levels look good, but knowing your ammonia level is super important. The API kit is the way to go and we all recommend it here.

The water itself contains virtually none of the beneficial bacteria needed to cycle a tank. Even though it is a hospital tank you're speaking of, there are a few options. Many people run a second filter on their main tank, so if the hospital tank is needed...you can just pull it out of the closet, fill it with 50% of tank water, 50% dechlorinated water from the main tank, add on the secondary filter and have it from being in the closet to up and running in about 10 minutes.

It won't really apply in your situation...but I think you can gain some good info by checking out the link in my signature. It's about fishless cycling, but will definitely shed some light on things that places like Petsmart conveniently forget to mention, lol.

Haha,another fellow Midwesterner w terrible water! I live down by StL,and I have to run a 6 stage ro system to get good enough water for my tanks! I'm also new so,welcome! This place is awesome!

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. Thanks eco, i appreciate the help greatly. Anything that will improve the life span and happiness of my fish is very appreciated!!

Hello everyone, it's great to be a part of so many knowledgeable aquarium owners. I have always wanted a tank and finally was able to track down a free 55 gal tank w/ all necessary equipment. I have already come in contact with Ick which wiped out over half of my little friends. Wish i knew about this site sooner. Since then i bought a 10 gal hospital tank in case of emergencies. I have it running constantly so it is ready at a moments notice. The fish i have left are 2 dwarf Gouramis, 2 Neon blue dwarf Gouramis, 1 swordtail, 1 Guppy, 1 Upside down catfish. I had a bunch of other but the didn't make it, may they rest in peace. Lol. I actually got very upset when my fish started dying. Not from a money standpoint but because i actually care about the well being of them. Hope that doesn't sound dumb or strange. Well I look forward to getting advice as well as helping others avoid mistakes i have made. Please any comments, questions, or advice for me from what you know shoot!! I'd like to talk to some people and make some connections. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to AA. Never feel silly here about loving your fish. That is one of the qualities we like most in the people that join.
I sympathize with your loss to ick, I lost an entire 55g community tank to ick. I was devastated. Our very first fish, a Common Pleco named Eddie Fisher, is buried in the backyard and even has a headstone.
But like you I found AA and now I not only have a tank full of very healthy fish. But I have 17 day old fry and another batch on the way.
The people on AA will get you and your fish swimming smoothly in no time.

Hey , we're all kinda borderline nuts out here .., and yep., when we lose a critter wether it be a fish, coral or crab WE all feel it.... Welcome to our underwater world., glad to have you here

Ha well I know the feeling. My fiance thinks I'm crazy with all the time and efforti put into my tank. its like an addiction, I love it!!

jasonjs said:
Haha,another fellow Midwesterner w terrible water! I live down by StL,and I have to run a 6 stage ro system to get good enough water for my tanks! I'm also new so,welcome! This place is awesome!

6 stage ro to get good enough water? How bad IS your water by StL, and how does your tank water compare to your lfs's water? I'm just curious being from mineral-heavy Fl.

welcome to AA and yes my first fish a betta i named lil red, i lost to something i am not sure but i put white clouds with him which i read was ok and in days they were all dead ... i went back to the aqua store i bought them from and they said well ours seem healthy ... ... i don't go there anymore...

Back
Top Bottom