Just joined... hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jac_france

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there everyone and bonjour.

I started off with a comet and a shubunkin, which I moved into my brother's outdoor pond when I came here to the French Alps. That was a long time ago and I've recently started a small nanotank with 7 neon tetras.

It seems to have taken an age, but when everything had been gathered, plants planted, 4 weeks' cycling, over 2 hours' slowly acclimatising the new tetras... the stress was only just beginning. Aren't fish supposed to be relaxing?

I did have 3 amano shrimp but I think they've gone. First night one escaped, seemingly via the heater cable, and I found him behind the telly; the second made it to day 5 but I'm not convinced he was well when I got him; the third has disappeared this morning leaving just part of his skin behind. He's either moulted and is hiding incredibly well or, the 7 clearly-much-happier tetras this morning are sharing a dark and guilty secret.

I say happier because 3 of them had a blotch of red or white fuzzy bits on them from the start. They've all spent week 1 in different parts of the tank away from each other (except for feeding), but today things seem to be looking up and they're all out and about, and have spent the day together! The furry three also seem to be... fuzzless; and dare I say sparkling?

I think the bug has bitten and a larger tank is in the offing for my little fellas - I may even name them soon - no more shrimps for a while though as I can't live with the stress and the guilt.

I too also had bought shrimp though mostly for my dads wanting XD turns out mosquito fish love them I guess or they are hiding really well for the past year and I haven't seen them XD. where did you get your fish from cause it doesn't seem like a good place unless you want to rescue the poor things.

Your question about where the fish came from is a very valid one. I have two stores near me and I checked them both out first. Both had displays with dead fish in them, both are not really where I wanted to buy fish from. The problem is, I live in the mountains and I have little choice.

I nearly came away with 5 sickly celestial pearl danios purely because I felt so sorry for them in their 10cm x 10cm murky display - but I didn't as that was really asking for failure in my own tank.

It's going to be a question I ask in the forums for when I get a bigger tank - how long a car journey will fish be okay with - as I will want to go to a more reputable shop.

Hope your tank is going well - my last surviving armano has just this second put in an appearance!!! He's still with us after all.

I have a post called hi about my tanks and what all the happenings are. I live about 5-10min from a pet store and then I had them in the bag in the tank for another 15min. I also went to one that was 30-45min away and did the 15min wait in tank and they are doing fine still XD.what you might have to do is by the time you get them u open the bag to add fresh air. also if its more than an hour away when u get them home you open the bag and slowly add your tanks water so that they will get fresh water and you slowly allow them to adjust to temp difference. now if your temp range is same as the stores or even off by 2 degrees you can put the fish in right away.

Thanks Corylover - my store is about 40 mins by car so I did the acclimatisation thing, adding a tbsp of water every 10 mins until ph et al were all matching - then scooped them all in. Took a long time but I think that's why I still have 7 neon tetras, so worth it and today they have all really perked up a lot. Fingers crossed that continues.

Sounds great that you've been so successful with your fry! If I had more room then... one for the future maybe.

A couple of photos of some of my fellas... and newly moulted shrimp!!!
Thanks again.

84570-albums13265-picture61949.jpg
84570-albums13265-picture61933.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure one of those tetras will eventually feel guilty and confess to eating the shrimp. One day you will wake up to a confession written in the gravel and one fish begging for witness protection in another tank. Which of course you will buy, because as you said, you've got the bug now!

Btw, it must be lovely living in the French Alps! I've been in the Swiss Alps, and it was simply beautiful!

I love your plant life I am just now trying to build a planted tank I normally stick with fakes but if my 10g goes well I might do some rearranging in my 40g XD.

Thanks Alyxx - the mountains are beautiful indeed. But you do crave a little city life now and then.

Corylover - once you start planting and looking at all the amazing aquascaping videos on youtube then, then your 40g will follow very quickly I imagine!

:thanks:

yep as long as the 10g goes well. it will be partially planted cause I still want Corys to be able to sift through the sand XD. when the babies are big enough to go in there.

Back
Top Bottom